Do 4K movies come with 4K digital copies (VUDU UHD)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-23-2016, 10:40 AM

Default Do 4K movies come with 4K digital copies (VUDU UHD)?

I don't have an UHD player yet...or even a 4K display, but I figure if I'm going to buy a new release of a movie I might as well get a 4K bundle and future-proof. (I did this with the DVD to Blu-Ray transition with good results).

My question is...do current 4K bundles come with 4K digital copies, or just regular old 1080p UltraViolet copies? This way, if I do end up getting a 4K display but not a UHD player, I'll have a collection of 4K films ready to stream.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:38 AM

All the ones I've gotten so far have just been HD
Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
All the ones I've gotten so far have just been HD
Wow, that stinks.

I picked up a PS4 Pro (for my PSVR), and while it doesn't have a build in UHD player it does play back 4k streaming. It seems Sony is banking on the future of UHD not being on disc, but streaming. I thought I'd start accumulating some streaming 4K titles...guess not.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Warners and Universal UHD Blu-rays include VUDU UHD redemption codes (HERE is a full list of available titles -- some of these, of course, are VUDU-exclusive at this time, but figure if a movie's on this list AND on UHD Blu, you'll be able to get it by purchasing the UHD BD). However, I don't see the PS4 Pro is on VUDU's list of Compatible UHD Devices.

ALSO, I don't own a Sony compatible device and have not personally verified this, but it's my understanding that Sony's UHD Blu-rays include 4K digital copies that can be streamed via Sony's ULTRA app.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Palmer answered this quite nicely. And yes Michael, Sony claims to currently support it on their devices only. I think you have to actually redeem the code on the address listed on the card though which is something like sonypictures.com/uvredeem - I would expect them to eventually drop that idea. Maybe right now it's like a retailer exclusive to drum up business or something.

Has anyone redeemed the UHD Disc UV codes directly on a UV retailer or have they (like me) did so on the address printed on the card just to be sure?
Old 12-23-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Warners and Universal UHD Blu-rays include VUDU UHD redemption codes (HERE is a full list of available titles -- some of these, of course, are VUDU-exclusive at this time, but figure if a movie's on this list AND on UHD Blu, you'll be able to get it by purchasing the UHD BD). However, I don't see the PS4 Pro is on VUDU's list of Compatible UHD Devices.

ALSO, I don't own a Sony compatible device and have not personally verified this, but it's my understanding that Sony's UHD Blu-rays include 4K digital copies that can be streamed via Sony's ULTRA app.
Thanks!
I'm not too concerned about compatible devices right now, as according to that list I could always just grab the latest Roku device if I pick up a 4k display (a drop in the bucket at that point).

So if I purchase the correct titles, from Warner and Universal, even if I don't have the correct playback device my Library should reflect owning the UHD copy for future use, correct?
Old 12-24-2016, 03:52 AM

I redeemed a bunch of mine on Flixster and synced with my VUDU account. However the titles I redeemed no longer show up in VUDU(they did briefly, in 4K), and appear to only be HD in Flixster. VUDU claims they lost 4K rights to those titles. I'm sitting on future codes till they figure this crap out.

This shit confirms everything bad I ever thought about digital ownership.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I redeemed a bunch of mine on Flixster and synced with my VUDU account. However the titles I redeemed no longer show up in VUDU(they did briefly, in 4K), and appear to only be HD in Flixster. VUDU claims they lost 4K rights to those titles. I'm sitting on future codes till they figure this crap out.

Thanks for this post. I'll hold off then.

I agree about digital ownership, but I do factor in UV copies into the value of my purchase. Especially since you can legally share your UV library.

If I had a 4k TV, I'd buy a physical UHD player the same day, no question. Even though there are some cheap 4k sets out there, I don't expect to upgrade for another year or so.

I too prefer physical media, but...I'm reading about what a sales success UHD movies are, which is good, but that means the value of Blu-Rays drops. Anything that doesn't need to be in my collection, or I don't expect to watch before I upgrade to UHD, needs to be sold while there is still some value. I don't have the space, or the money, to build an UHD collection and retain my entire Blu-Ray collection.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
VUDU claims they lost 4K rights to those titles. I'm sitting on future codes till they figure this crap out.

Lol, and true dat. How do you have it in your library one day and then not the next?
Old 12-24-2016, 10:45 PM

No shit, I was surprised.