'Star Trek' and 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Headed for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on June 14 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-05-2016, 01:46 PM

Default 'Star Trek' and 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Headed for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on June 14

http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/32374/startrek.html
http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/323...arkness4k.html
Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 PM

Im really interested to hear the Atmos mixes on these discs!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Am surprised (and pleased) to see Paramount on the Atmos bandwagon.
Once again though I wonder if it is real 4K? Effects, DI, etc.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Does it really matter? You're gonna notice the 10 bit HDR with the wider color gamut 10 times more than any resolution upgrade. I don't even bother check to see if it's 2k or 4k anymore. The effects and CGI are going to be 2k in any event and those are usually the parts of the movie that people are waiting to see anyway.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Both of these movies are on the "Samsung Accessory Pack" hard drive that had a number of studio films in 4K (obviously no HDR though). To be honest, I haven't even watched any of "Into Darkness" yet, but even the 4K render of "Star Trek" was a nice improvement over the blu-ray (not night and day, but still noticeably more detailed). I'm looking forward to seeing it fully HDR-graded.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Both of these movies are on the "Samsung Accessory Pack" hard drive that had a number of studio films in 4K (obviously no HDR though). To be honest, I haven't even watched any of "Into Darkness" yet, but even the 4K render of "Star Trek" was a nice improvement over the blu-ray (not night and day, but still noticeably more detailed). I'm looking forward to seeing it fully HDR-graded.

I have that video pack too. I haven't watched the Star Trek films but I did sample/compare them with the Blu-ray. I don't they don't have HDR, but it certainly has "extended" dynamic range, since the brights are so much brighter. It might be the 10 bit color depth though.

Life of Pi on it I think looks just as good as the UHD BD. So it may be the same case with Star Trek too.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 AM

Bryan, just noticed you got a new HDR TV in your sig. Have you had a chance to revisit San Andreas and notice the difference that HDR makes?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Both movies had 2k Digital Intermediates with 2k CGI. Even the IMAX footage in Into Darkness was reduced to 2k for the post-production workflow. (J.J. Abrams doesn't really understand what the purpose of IMAX is; he just thinks it's "cool" to say he used it in his movie.)
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Both movies had 2k Digital Intermediates with 2k CGI. Even the IMAX footage in Into Darkness was reduced to 2k for the post-production workflow. (J.J. Abrams doesn't really understand what the purpose of IMAX is; he just thinks it's "cool" to say he used it in his movie.)

You don't think JJ is going to have the 35mm negative rescanned? (obviously the cg would still be 2k) 'Wrath of Khan' was rescanned at 4K recently.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Bryan, just noticed you got a new HDR TV in your sig. Have you had a chance to revisit San Andreas and notice the difference that HDR makes?
I think we're confusing Bryan's here ... (ironically, the same thing happens to me at work, where for some reason my department has 4 or 5 Bryan's). I *do* have the LG EF9500, but I'm not the Bryan that does reviews for the site.

Having said that, I thought San Andreas looked great in 4K/HDR. (as I mentioned on another thread, Alexandra Daddario is somehow even hotter in 4K ). As a whole, it's not as night and day as some other flicks (mostly due to the subdued color palette), but certain things (the red on the helicopter/etc) really pop a lot more.