XBOX ONE S/X support HDR and DV on UHD 4K Blu-ray discs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM

Default XBOX ONE S/X support HDR and DV on UHD 4K Blu-ray discs?

I was reading an article from about a year back that stated the XBOX One X and S supported HDR for games and streaming services but not on 4k UHD blu-ray discs. Has there been any firmware updates, to allow HDR and/or Dolby Vision support? I was planning to add an XBOX ONE X to my upcoming home theater upgrade, but if it doesn't support this, I may have to use the funds set aside for this purchase to get a 4K player that supports HDR and DV. When I was using my XBOX One S for UHD a few years back, there were certain titles that wouldn't play, in my old setup, the ATMOS soundtracks, even though I had an ATMOS setup, and MS hadn't been the fastest about updating their firmware to do bit-streaming (IIRC) or anything like that.

I'll probably start my theater upgrading process between now and Wednesday and hopefully will be done (or mostly done) before December. The target sale on the XBOX ONE X Gears of war bundle w/$40 target gift card for black Friday does seem like a good one, at $349.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:34 PM

I went ahead and just got a stand-alone player that supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
Old 11-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakai View Post
I went ahead and just got a stand-alone player that supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision
Honestly, I probably would do that in most cases anyways. IMO, when it is integrated into a gaming console, it has so much more potential but never seems to come close to even a low-end standalone player. I look at it as a gaming system, but as an added bonus, reads 4K discs. But they will not spend too much effort on making it shine as a disc player. Besides, why opt for the wear and tear anyway.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:07 AM

I ended up getting an XBOX ONE X anyway, as Amazon actually had a $39 coupon later in the black Friday sale, probably to compete with Target's included $40 gift card. Wish I could have gotten the limited edition artic blue version, but either they were sold out or didn't have a gift card or coupon, depending on who had them. Not really worth $40 more, to me. I very rarely shop at target. So, saving the money vs getting a gift card was an easy option for me.