Sony UBP-X1100ES -- HDD Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Sony UBP-X1100ES -- HDD Review

The Sony X1100ES supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG HDR (but not HDR+), streams your favorite content from Netflix, Prime Video, and YouTube, upscales your existing Blu-rays to 4K, and plays high-resolution audio files and discs. Though it may not be a dream machine (a few annoying anomalies detract from its appeal), the X1100ES hits its marks with precision and quality, which earns it an enthusiastic endorsement. Recommended.

https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/753...erwithhdr.html
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Wow, great review David. I too like a printed manual, nice touch Sony. I have a drawer that they all stay in, and when I have a device that has online only (downloadable PDF even) I feel a bit annoyed. It's not convenient to turn on my PC or my phone and locate the manual.
The Dolby Vision implementation does sound really annoying. Hopefully Sony will respond with a firmware update, sounds like it needs a simple "Auto" option.
As far as picture adjustments, I generally do not mess with the picture at all, so the adjustments would not matter to me. It's hard to load a movie and decide you want to adjust the level as movies are so dynamic that an adjustment early on in the movie might not be so good later on.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 PM

Thanks, Krawk! Totally agree about the manuals. Looking up stuff on a phone is far from ideal and running back and forth between a computer and your HT setup is a real pain.

I, too, hope Sony can fix that Dolby Vision issue. Otherwise, itís a really nice player.