Samsung to stop making 4k players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Default Samsung to stop making 4k players

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...tXdj899DihQ8Ck
Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
One of the reasons for pulling out could be that the existing 4K players' format support has lagged behind the rest of the industry. For example, instead of supporting Dolby Vision, Samsung created its own version of HDR10, called HDR10+, which was designed for use in streaming and physical media.

Well jeesh - why is it they have such an affliction with AVOIDING DV?
Honestly, that was part of the reason I have not considered a Samsung. The other was the design overall, lack of a display on the front and that terrible curved design.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:54 PM

This ultimately means that the physical discs will no longer exists within a couple of years. In this hard economic times, nobody will keep recycling discs, its just too expensive. No way I spent a lot of money this time as I got burned by the HDVD-Bluray fiasco. Most of my disc buying was the HD-DVD format. People want to pay for lower costs and convenience. This time I only bought an handful of disc of the 4K format. The John Wick and the Mission Impossible movies, that's it. I think its a forgone conclusion we will never see the 4K HDR format disc of the 24 Bond movies. Sales have not been great on just the 4K format offered on iTunes.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvideo1967 View Post
This ultimately means that the physical discs will no longer exists within a couple of years. In this hard economic times, nobody will keep recycling discs, its just too expensive.
Panasonic and Sony both make machines that are better than anything Samsung has put out. For cheap cheap players, there are a couple of choices as well. Samsung will continue to produce for other markets. Oppo felt the need to exit as they were a lesser known brand with a premium price, a niche product for enthusiasts. I never heard of Oppo before really, til I bought my 103D a couple years ago. I would not expect discs to go away any time soon. Will 4K UHD be the last disc format available? Perhaps, maybe. Will it be replaced with something else? Again, perhaps, maybe, probably. Imagine having a video library where your movies are on something like an SD card? I think that will be the next physical media direction. Memory modules are getting cheaper and cheaper. A triple layer UHD-BD probably costs a few bucks to make due to higher error rates. What would a 100GB (or 128) SD-type medium cost in a few years?

I would not be as opposed to a digital (non-physical) format if it were not a streaming format. Consoles and PC Games are that way now, you pay for the game, you download the game, it plays from your local hard drive. If your game gets erased, you download it again. I know this method was around for movies for awhile but was very expensive. Unfortunately there is still a very large swath of the U.S. (and other markets) that have terrible or no internet service.