Non-Upscaling UHD Player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM

Default Non-Upscaling UHD Player?

I would like to be able to output BluRay, DVD in their native format and not have the player upscale, de-interlace, etc. All the players tout their 4k upscaling, but can you turn it off on any of them? The Oppo Blu Ray players (and I presume their UHD players) called this Source DIrect.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Most players I have tinkered with have the option to enable or disable the upscaler. The only reason you would want to do this is if the upscaler in the TV itself is much better than the one in the disc player. No matter what you feed to the display, the display is showing it to you in its native resolution, which is the maximum resolution of the panel. As you posted this in the UHD forum, presumably your display is a 4K.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:31 PM

The DVD/Blu-Ray is being upscaled one way or another. It's either going to be done by the HDTV or the player. I guess it depends on the player, but I would think that usually the player would do the better job of upscaling.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
The DVD/Blu-Ray is being upscaled one way or another. It's either going to be done by the HDTV or the player. I guess it depends on the player, but I would think that usually the player would do the better job of upscaling.
Talk about old thread Rob, lol.

When I used to play DVDs, the best combo I thought was to stick with a DVD player and use the component outs (instead of the HDMI on the DVD player or use of a BD player that only has HDMI) to the TV. The TV probably was doing some video processing on the component ports as it was not digital so it was compensating for potential signal noise. Using an HDMI port, regardless of the resolution it was set to (480i, 480p, 1080p) seemed to show heavier compression artifacts, but the same video via component and the video noise was not there, and the picture quality did not seem to lose any detail either .
As much as we would like to reduce the number of components on the stack, I kept the DVD player connected and configured that way for that reason.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:15 PM

LOL! I just saw the date. I have no idea why this thread popped up when I hit the "New Posts" button. I assumed it was a new post.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
LOL! I just saw the date. I have no idea why this thread popped up when I hit the "New Posts" button. I assumed it was a new post.
It popped as new posts since there was spam posting in it that one of the Mods so nicely made disappear
Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It popped as new posts since there was spam posting in it that one of the Mods so nicely made disappear
Makes sense.