Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HDTV1080P is offline Banned

Default It sounds like streaming 4K movies is a terrible experience for some people.

It sounds like streaming 4K movies is a terrible experience for some people. Maybe they will try the much better and reliable 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray optical disc format.

"The criticism, which can be found on social media sites, and Amazon.com forums, comes largely from owners of LG 4K TVs, but consumers who own Sony, Samsung and Panasonic sets are making the same allegations.

"Canceled my video subscription; it's unwatchable as I just get a headache trying to make out what the blurb of darkness is," writes 'Robin K,' a LG 4K TV owner, at an Amazon forum.

http://tvpredictions.com/amazon020917.htm

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Sony and their infinite wisdom - when you redeem a UV code with them they load the UHD version to the Bravia app. Whether it be Bravia or UV it still needs a very wide pipeline.
    Even my 25 Mbps connection sometimes struggles to watch low-def 480i video. Macroblocking and poor compression.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Palmer is offline Administrator

Ah, the one-two punch of LG (and others) out-of-the-box HDR settings and the woefully inconsistent HDR10. This doesn't happen with Dolby Vision.

rmoody is offline Member

I have a lot of issues with HDR on my LG OLED. Each port must have HDR enabled, then the TV has to reboot. If I feed it non-HDR content, it glitches, skips, the screen goes green, audio drops out, video drops out, this is from my Nvidia Sheild 2017, TiVo Romio OTA, my Roku 4 seems to do ok with this but I cannot get HDR to turn on in Netflix on the Roku 4. I also feel Nvidia really dropped the ball not adding Dolby Vision to the Shield, but I digress. If I go to the SmartTV apps with HDR enabled on the port, I get the screen from the Marantz flickering over the SmartTV screen constantly making it completely unusable. This is on port 2 on the TV feeding ARC to the AVR. So I have to turn off HDR on the Shield which sort of negates the purchase of it. I don't know if it's the TV, my AVR (Marantz SR7010, cables, etc.) I've ordered some Media Bridge cables to check cables at the suggestion of my wonderfully patient and tolerant wife. I'm also hoping that LG's new UltraHD player with Dolby Vision will help. It's confirmed to have Netflix, Amazon and YouTube and off the record Vudu.

It's incredibly frustrating to pay this much money to have to fight just to watch the expensive content that I've purchased. Last night it took me nearly an hour just to get audio working while playing an UHD blu-ray. I wound up having to disabled HDR on the port then re-enable it when prompted after staring the movie. Using the Samsung 8500 player, which is rather a POS if you ask me but I digress again, besides I more or less got it for free. The only way I could get the thing to work at all was to route video directly to the TV from port 1 and audio only to the AVR via port 2.

rmoody. do you have a 2015 or 2016 model OLED and are you still within warranty? it sounds to me like you might have a defective unit. I suffered no such issues with our loaner E6 OLED for 3 months of heavy use with a Denon AVR, internal apps, Samsung K8500, and a Roku Ultra.

Radagaster is offline Member

Curious to find out what content you were playing with so I can also test this at my end. I have a 2016 LG OLED, and I haven't tried any HDR content yet. I do have an Xbox One S for playback and it goes into my Denon X4300H.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Is this the time for which we bash Sony as well - for opting to offer 4K but only as streaming, not physical disc on their new gaming console?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

bruceames is offline Member

I don't have anything against Sony. I have 3 Sony 4k TVs (2 of them HDR) and they're excellent TVs. I don't stream because watching a movie with a sub par bit rate is against my religion. But I've sampled a few UHD movies on the Sony Ultra app and have had no problems with the feed(except the quality is still streaming quality, not disc quality). And I only get around 30 mbps from my provider.

I don't have the PS4, but if I did I wouldn't use it for watching movies. I have the Xbox One S and I don't use it for movies either. I use a dedicated player. I don't think Sony gives a flying fuck about UHD BD, at least right now. They're probably taking a wait and see attitude about it as they kinda got burned a little sacrificing the PS3 for Blu-ray. Very funny though (and ironic) that MS is picking up the slack for them.

rmoody,

I just realized one of your problems re-reading your comment. The Roku 4 is NOT an HDR device; it only supports the UHD resolution. HDR is available on the Roku Premier+ & Roku Ultra. Also, on 2016 LG OLEDs, I don't recall having to set up the HDMI ports to play HDR. Either way, internal display apps wouldn't require that and should play flawlessly.

Radagaster,

if you're looking for great HDR demo material with the 2016 LG OLEDs, check out my review of the E6 as well as the related UHD BD reviews reviewes published on this site. For Dolby Vision content, Pacific Rim, Great Gatsby, Mad Max Fury Road, and the LEGO Movie on VUDU UHD (via the OLED's internal app); also, you can rent or buy Sony movies in Dolby Vision on the displays' internal Amazon app.

If you playback UHD Blu-rays via an external player, or watch Amazon Prime TV shows directly from your OLED, those are currently available in HDR10 and I recommend, under Picture Controls, setting BLACK LEVEL to High for HDR10 material to reduce crushing and improve shadow detail.

Cheers.

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

rmoody is offline Member

It's 2016 model, still in warranty, outside of return however (bought from Crutchfield). Thanks for the reminder that my Roku doesn't do HDR, I forgot that. At some point I will connect my Shield directly to the TV and see what happens. Maybe I should give LG a call.

You have not had to enable Ultra HD Deep Color? Weird. Anytime I play something with HDR, it puts up a banner to enable this and will not go away until I do it. Else I would ignore it for sure. Link below is what I'm talking about.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product...8590776-others

Quote Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
    It's 2016 model, still in warranty, outside of return however (bought from Crutchfield). Thanks for the reminder that my Roku doesn't do HDR, I forgot that. At some point I will connect my Shield directly to the TV and see what happens. Maybe I should give LG a call.

You have not had to enable Ultra HD Deep Color? Weird. Anytime I play something with HDR, it puts up a banner to enable this and will not go away until I do it. Else I would ignore it for sure. Link below is what I'm talking about.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product...8590776-others
    Try turning off Deep Color on the Samsung UHD BD player (and the display). That's what I (generally) recommned for that player. I may be off about this -- someone feel free to hop in -- but I believe Deep Color up-samples 8-bit sources to 12-bit, which can introduce imperfections in 10-bit panels.

How has the HDR performance (Dolby Vision or HDR10) on your internal apps been?

rmoody is offline Member

The Samsung works ok with how it's connected with video only going to the LG OLED and the other feeding audio to the Maranz SR 7010. The internal apps on the LG OLED are fine.

If I turn off Deep Color, it disables HDR doesn't it? I mean, that's what I'm getting from this:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/Sam...8500_Tips.html

This is what I followed to get the thing working at all. I don't know, I'll try your suggestion.

Any one have Nvidia Shield and have issues with HDR?

Quote Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
    The Samsung works ok with how it's connected with video only going to the LG OLED and the other feeding audio to the Maranz SR 7010. The internal apps on the LG OLED are fine.

If I turn off Deep Color, it disables HDR doesn't it? I mean, that's what I'm getting from this:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/audio/Sam...8500_Tips.html

This is what I followed to get the thing working at all. I don't know, I'll try your suggestion.

Any one have Nvidia Shield and have issues with HDR?
    No, Deep Color is a seperate technology. Josh Zyber and Lee Stewart likely know more about it than I do, but it's been around since the Blu-ray days where it was never implimented. DC doesn't have anything to do with HDR. On LG OLEDs, when HDR is detected (or Dolby Vision), you will know because they engage different picture settings modes (one for SDR, one for HDR10, and one for Dolby Vision).

When people talk about wide or wider color gamut (WCG), they're referring to the color space UHD Blu-rays and streaming titles are graded in (housed in a BT.2020 or Rec.2020 container), but WCG is also a seperate technology from Deep Color.

Also, from your tips link:

"I kept the K8500's "Deep Color" option Off. (No current UHD Discs use Deep Color/12-Bit.)"

rmoody is offline Member

This will be the weekend project, Proxmox will have to wait a bit . I'll report back with my findings. Thank you for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast