scohen is offline Staff

Default CES 2017: LG Readies UP970 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player with Dolby Vision HDR

The company's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player has been revealed.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...sion-hdr/37663
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

Would you need both a Dolby Vision player and a Dolby Vision TV to get the full effect, or is only one required?

We've got a DV HDR UHD TV over here.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
    Would you need both a Dolby Vision player and a Dolby Vision TV to get the full effect, or is only one required?

I think it's both (because otherwise why else would one need to feature Dolby Vision on a player), but I sent a follow up question to Dolby to confirm.

But it's important to note -- as I just posted over in the UHD software thread and for those who may not be aware -- UHD BDs encoded with Dolby Vision will ALSO feature HDR10 for anyone who doesn't have a DV player or display. To oversimplify, Dolby Vision can be encoded two different ways -- on its own (standalone) or on top of HDR10 (it's sorta-kinda like how Dolby Atmos tracks are ALSO 7.1 Dolby TrueHD tracks for those without Atmos).

All Ultra HD Blu-rays that come with "HDR" are required to at least have HDR10; Dolby Vision's enhancements will be extra and will remain optional. You don't have to throw any of your gear away.

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Yes - you need both components to have Dolby Vision - the TV and the Player to see DV HDR. ALL UHD BD players support HDR10 as do HDR supported UHD TVs

scohen is offline Staff

Figured it would need both. It's going to be one of those niche things that requires multiple parts (hardware and software), all offering the same feature in order to work. The Video equivalent of Atmos, I guess.

But to get Dolby Vision in your home theater, you need a DV TV, Player, and an actual video with the feature...

There are some Dolby Vision UHD videos on Prime, apparently. I don't think I spotted on on Canada's Prime though.

And then there are those UHD discs yet to be released which will have it as well.

TBH, I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between HDR and Dolby Vision. I'm not a videophile.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs

Boston007 is online now Member

I almost wish they would concentrate on Dolby Vision versus 3D

Figured it would need both. It's going to be one of those niche things that requires multiple parts (hardware and software), all offering the same feature in order to work. The Video equivalent of Atmos, I guess.

But to get Dolby Vision in your home theater, you need a DV TV, Player, and an actual video with the feature...

There are some Dolby Vision UHD videos on Prime, apparently. I don't think I spotted on on Canada's Prime though.

And then there are those UHD discs yet to be released which will have it as well.

TBH, I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between HDR and Dolby Vision. I'm not a videophile.
    The difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is not subtle especially when it becomes available on UHD Blu Ray where you will be able to get the full benefits of Dolby Vision.

HDR10 supports up to 4,000 nits peak brightness, with a current 1,000 nit peak brightness target, 10-bit color depth and capable of displaying everything in the Rec.2020 color space.

Dolby Vision, on the other hand, supports up to 10,000 nits peak brightness, with a current 4,000 nit peak brightness target, 12-bit color depth and capable of displaying everything in the Rec.2020 color space.

What that means is Dolby Vision will be brighter and more colorful than HDR10 especially for those titles that were mastered to be shown in Dolby Cinemas which are the only movie theaters that use Dolby Vision HDR.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I almost wish they would concentrate on Dolby Vision versus 3D
    To have Dolby Vision in your product you need three items:

1. Proprietary Chip Set
    2. Proprietary Firmware
    3. License Fee

The reason why the BDA chose HDR10 for UHD BD is because it doesn't require any of those three items. HDR10 was created by SMPTE for open use. Dolby Vision is considered a professional HDR format while HDR10 is a consumer HDR format. Those in the industry know that DV looks better than HDR10 and has much greater growth potential for the future. But what Dolby Vision really needs is not available to consumers and probably won't be for 2 or 3 years . . . 12bit panels. It doesn't seem like a lot of difference; 10bit versus 12bit but it is. It's like the difference between 8bit HD panels and 10bit UHD panels. They can't reach 100% of BT.2020 using 10bit color depth. They will need to go to 12bit. And as you can see from the above post Dolby Vision uses 12bit color depth in it's mastering process.

bruceames is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart;2604816[B
    ]They can't reach 100% of BT.2020 using 10bit color depth.[/B] They will need to go to 12bit. And as you can see from the above post Dolby Vision uses 12bit color depth in it's mastering process.
    You can do 100% 2020 space in 10 bits. Color depth and color gamut are two different things.

Still waiting on this device coming to Canada. It's not on Amazon.ca or Best Buy Canada's site either.

There is one supplier that I can find, and it's Canadian Appliance Source, which I don't think I've heard of before. The price there doesn't seem too bad, $400 CAN (It retails for $300 US, yes?). I'd rather order from Amazon or BB though.

Well, it's up on Best Buy Canada now for $400CAN + tax, which is the same price as the Canadian Appliance Source. I checked Amazon, and the only one was a 3rd party reseller for over $500.

I'll probably buy it early next month, unless someone else wants to recommend a better player for the price that supports Dolby Vision.

Got mine in-store, plus a couple more UHDs. I've only seen Logan in UHD so far, plus a short demo of Suicide Squad, and Planet Earth II.

The only one where I've really seen the benefit of UHD is Planet Earth II, that looked fricken gorgeous.

As to the player itself, the remote is ass. It needs to be pointed directly at the player in order to work, and it seems to lack a convenient audio or subtitle stream selector. So, I have to use the menu to change all that now.

scohen is offline Staff

The LG UP970 Dolby Vision firmware update is now available.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...y-player/39796

Wait, it hasn't had Dolby Vision all this time? Well, crap. I thought it either shipped with it, or at least got it in an earlier firmware update.