Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

We kind of knew that built-in apps would not likely be a reality. Even the 103/105 players have several apps built in but encourage you to use a Roku Stick instead. Hell, even the wireless is an add-on, not built in.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

solarrdadd is offline Member

I will probably be upgrading to this late in Q1 of 2017. it's not a high priority for me at the moment since I don't have a UHD display. however, I currently do have a Philips UHD player which is cheap and works like a charm and gives me what I want from UHD which is ATMOS/DTS:X when that is not available on 1080p Blu.

I currently have a 105D in my 7.1.4 HT and I move the Philips between that and my 5.1.2 bedroom setup since it's so small. when I get the 203, I will move the 105 to the bedroom along with the Philips player.

I am hopeful that oppo will at some point include at least Netflix and if possible, Vudu. I use them both and I use them on my current 105D. I'd rather not have to buy Roku for them, but, we'll just have to wait and see if Oppo does eventually give us the apps.

again, I'm looking to use this mostly for the object based audio that tends to be on many UHD releases and not on the standard 1080p blu. they would be ATMOS/DTS:X I do also use it to watch Netflix (gotta have my JJ, Daredevil & Luke Cage! ) (a lot) and on occasion, Vudu when I'm feeling lazy.

oppo has not yet let me down in quality of product since I purchased the 83 way back when (which I still have and have got to put it up on CL as I don't use it). I expect no less from this machine.

oh yeah, the biggest thing that I suspect this has in the tech worlds eyes is that it will be DV compatible via a firmware said to be released in early 2017. that in and of itself, puts this player at the top of UHD players. leave it to oppo to do that. I expect another banner award year for the 20x lineup!
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-55A2000 1080P
    PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
    iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
    Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
    ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

The estimated ship date on OPPO UDP-203 Blu-ray players is between Jan 4-Jan 6 2017. Also OPPO Digital INC has removed the QTY 1 restriction when pre-ordering players. Consumers can now check out and get approved for as many players that they want to own. Also the OPPO UDP-203 is currently being sold on Amazon for $999.99 from an Amazon dealer. In a few weeks to a month as plenty of players become available this price will most likely be reduced to $549.

solarrdadd is offline Member

my friend who lives about 2hrs from me got one about a week or so ago. as for them being in and out of stock, I hope everyone was expecting this with a new UHD player first from oppo, this is the way it would have been.

everyone who wants one will get their chance, they just have to be patient.
    55" Sony SXRD KDS-55A2000 1080P
    PS3 Slim x2 & XBOX 360 Elite, iPhone6+ 128gb
    iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi x2, NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
    Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3! Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700, & mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT, Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
    ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!

According to the spec sheet the new Sony UBP-X800 will play both DVD-Audio discs and Super Audio CDs. I would be really interested in this Sony UBP-X800 since it appears to be the second brand on the market that will play those niche audiophile optical discs.

However the new Sony does not have any analog audio outputs.

mtrot is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    According to the spec sheet the new Sony UBP-X800 will play both DVD-Audio discs and Super Audio CDs. I would be really interested in this Sony UBP-X800 since it appears to be the second brand on the market that will play those niche audiophile optical discs.

However the new Sony does not have any analog audio outputs.
    Can it bitstream SACD DSD output to a receiver, or does it send pcm?

David Susilo is offline Member

The Sony 1000 series will have analog outs

Quote Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
    The Sony 1000 series will have analog outs
    Oddly enough my first Sony dvd player was a 1000 series. And it cost a thousand dollars, lol.

All prior OPPO Blu-ray player models supported HDCD decoding, however the UDP-203 and UDP-205 does not support HDCD decoding

According to OPPO Digital INC, the MediaTek decoder in the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205 does not support HDCD decoding. This is a big disappointment for some audiophiles with a large HDCD collection, since all prior OPPO Blu-ray players would decode HDCD if the CD was encoded with HDCD. OPPO Digital INC is discussing this issue with MediaTek. If it turns out that this is only a software limitation, then in the future OPPO Digital INC might be able to add HDCD decoding with a future firmware update if MediaTek agrees to add the code in their software development kit. However if the HDCD decoding feature turns out to be a hardware limitation with the OPPO UDP-203 and UDP-205, then it becomes impossible to add the HDCD feature in a future firmware update. In addition, OPPO Digital INC cannot guarantee that there will ever be a firmware update that offers the HDCD decoding feature (even if it only turns out to be a software limitation). For most audiophiles the ability to play Super audio CDs and DVD-Audio discs is much more important feature then HDCD decoding. It should be mentioned that there is no 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players currently on the market that offers HDCD decoding.

Personally, I own more 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs when compared to the limited amount of HDCDs that I own. So my point is I needed to upgrade from the BDP-103D to the UDP-203 since the big disadvantage of the BDP-103D is that it will not play 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.

The following is a select email quote from OPPO Digital INC

HDCD Decoding is a function of the decoder, and MediaTek is not supporting HDCD Decoding in the current line of decoder platforms for UHD media. This being a hardware limitation (ie something that does not exist at all in the chipset) or a software limitation (ie. they just need to add the code into their SDK) is still being discussed with MediaTek, but at this time we are not supporting HDCD Decoding and can't guarantee that it will ever make it into the UDP-203 and UDP-205 players through a future firmware release.

^^^ re: HDCD - is not likely just a codec that can do the trick? Most consumer devices nowadays have computers in them so it is just likely an app or codec.

The latest February 27th 2017 firmware update improved compatibility with exFAT formatted hard drives over 2TB in capacity. The OPPO UDP-203 should now work fine with hard drives up to 16TB in capacity using either exFAT and NTFS.

There is a software bug in the OPPO UDP-203 when using large hard drives and the exFAT file system

The OPPO UDP-203 and OPPO UDP-205 support external hard drives up to 16TBs in size with a USB 3.0 interface. Under the existing firmware the OPPO UDP-203 will work fine with the NTFS and exFAT file system for things like BD-LIVE as long as the hard drive is 2TB in size. I tried a 10TB size hard drive with a USB 3.1 interface, and the OPPO UDP-203 worked fine with BD-LIVE with a 10TB hard drive as long as the hard drive was formatted as NTFS. However when I formatted the 10TB hard drive as exFAT the OPPO UDP-203 could not use the hard drive and to make matters worse the OPPO UDP-203 would lock up and freeze and one had to unplug the hard drive and power cord from the OPPO UDP-203. So if one is using a hard drive larger then 2TB in size they might need to format the hard drive as NTFS instead of exFAT to prevent the OPPO UDP-203 from locking up under the existing firmware (I did not try a 3TB, or 4TB hard drive with exFAT, however a 10TB hard drive works fine with NTFS, but as soon as that 10TB hard drive is formatted as exFAT the OPPO UDP-203 will lock up and completely freeze when one tries to use the player with the drive attached).

OPPO DigitalI NC is aware of this issue and maybe the exFAT file system problem when using larger hard drives, might be fixed with possible future firmware update.

Quote from OPPO Digital INC:

The player having issues loading large drives with exFAT is being investigated but we do not have as solution to this problem yet.
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 03-01-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: updated with the latest information in red

NTFS is a much more secure, much more forgiving, much more efficient file system, especially with larger drives. Why would anyone want to use FAT or exFAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    NTFS is a much more secure, much more forgiving, much more efficient file system, especially with larger drives. Why would anyone want to use FAT or exFAT?
    Compatibility with legacy devices is the only reason I can think of, though I would imagine any system that tries to read large drives formatted to FAT, would have trouble doing so.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Licensing cost, FAT and exFAT can be used without any licensing, embedding NTFS capability can require a payment to MSFT.

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    Licensing cost, FAT and exFAT can be used without any licensing, embedding NTFS capability can require a payment to MSFT.
    Yes but Oppo already pays such fees (if any.) You, Joe Consumer buys a 6TB hard drive, you do not pay for which file system you format the drive with.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast