Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Question about this bullet, Josh
    "The HDMI input on the rear has video processing"

Umm, I'm ignorant here, what does this mean?
    The OPPO 103 and 103D have HDMI inputs as well as outputs. You can connect other video sources to them and run them through OPPO's video processor for deinterlacing, scaling and picture controls. This appears to do the same.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    The OPPO 103 and 103D have HDMI inputs as well as outputs. You can connect other video sources to them and run them through OPPO's video processor for deinterlacing, scaling and picture controls. This appears to do the same.
    Oh ok, I thought it was NEW feature.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

This player appears to be going thru the licensing process for Dolby Vision. As it is BT. 2020 capable this makes sense.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

For those that missed more details, Steve posted a story on the home page:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...-for-499/35160

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Both Universal and Lionsgate have promised UHD-BDs with Dolby Vision. It would be nice to have a player available to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Both Universal and Lionsgate have promised UHD-BDs with Dolby Vision. It would be nice to have a player available to play them.
    Dolby Vision appears superior to HDR10 but I get the feeling that a majority of companies out there, software or hardware will not support it. I applaud Uni and Lionsgate for making the promise but suspect not many others will get on board, making it a niche feature. I would love to buy a display that supports both. I understand that if a display is capable of Dolby Vision then it is also capable of HDR10 but we have seen one or the other but not both so far on displays.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Dolby Vision appears superior to HDR10 but I get the feeling that a majority of companies out there, software or hardware will not support it. I applaud Uni and Lionsgate for making the promise but suspect not many others will get on board, making it a niche feature. I would love to buy a display that supports both. I understand that if a display is capable of Dolby Vision then it is also capable of HDR10 but we have seen one or the other but not both so far on displays.
    It IS better but sadly it may not be adopted. Maybe if companies focused on that versus trying to shove 3D down our throats.

Dolby Vision would have made a bigger visual impact versus 3D, IMO.

Lee Stewart is offline Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Dolby is having a hard time getting consumer companies on board for DV. The extra licensing fee(s) plus the required chips all add expenses to support Dolby Vision. Of course in theaters there is only Dolby Vision when it comes to HDR.

The biggest differences between DV and HDR10 are two fold: DV uses 12 bit color gamut as it's baseline and is set for a maximum 4000 nits peak brightness. HDR10 only uses 10 bit color gamut and it's highest peak brightness is only 1000 nits. HDR10 has no future. It is what it is today and forever. Of course there are no licence fees attached to HDR10.

aaronwt is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
    Dolby is having a hard time getting consumer companies on board for DV. The extra licensing fee(s) plus the required chips all add expenses to support Dolby Vision. Of course in theaters there is only Dolby Vision when it comes to HDR.

The biggest differences between DV and HDR10 are two fold: DV uses 12 bit color gamut as it's baseline and is set for a maximum 4000 nits peak brightness. HDR10 only uses 10 bit color gamut and it's highest peak brightness is only 1000 nits. HDR10 has no future. It is what it is today and forever. Of course there are no licence fees attached to HDR10.
    That's why HDR10+ is coming soon. Which is dynamic.
    = 649(64.0%)
    = 365 (36.0%)
    Last : UHD-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Last : P2: A New Level Of Terror
    Media Players: Sony UBP-X800, Roku Ultra, FMP-X10, VTEN, FireTV 4k, TiVo Bolt x2
    Gaming Systems: XBOne S x2, PS4 pro
    53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

My original unedited post alluded to a possible model 205 as well. Looks like that one is also on track to be a reality.

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

Latest quote from OPPO Digital INC

"We do not have an established price and release date yet, but we are looking to release the player mid-December for an estimated MSRP of $499.00."

SELECT QUOTES FROM SOUND AND VISION MAGAZINE

"While its exact price is still under review, the UBD-203 should launch at between $500 and $600"

"In addition to Ultra HD discs (including HDR10 high dynamic range, with a later firmware update promised for Dolby Vision), the UBD-203 will play back Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD, and audio CD."

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...79rQPr4MmYJ.99

The article above has a model number typo. It should say UDP-203.

Site pimping?
    Simply posting a URL with zero explanation by definition is site pimping.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast