Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    HDTV1080P is offline Banned

I made the following product improvement suggestion to OPPO Digital INC that hopefully might be released in a future firmware update

“TO: OPPO Digital INC

I had a suggestion for a new feature that could be offered with a firmware update to the UDP-203/UDP-205. On a Windows PC the Windows operating system displays the exact amount of data that a Blu-ray disc or DVD disc is using. For example a particular Blu-ray movie might use 43.5GB of space out of 50GB. What would be ideal is if the UDP-203 Media Playback information screen would show the exact amount of space that is being used on an optical disc. For example a typical DVD disc might say “7.12GB” or a Blu-ray might say “23.7GB”. This would be a very nice feature for movie reviewers and consumers, since they would no longer need to stick the disc in a Windows PC to get the information. Also currently in the United States there is no 4K Ultra HD BD-ROM drives available for a Windows PC, therefore there is currently no way to get GB size information off of a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc.

So if possible please add this feature to the Media Playback information screen

Thanks for your time”

The following are select word for word quotes from OPPO Digital INC

“Thank you for the product feedback and suggestion. We will forward it to the engineers whom will consider this feature for a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.”

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    Also currently in the United States there is no 4K Ultra HD BD-ROM drives available for a Windows PC, therefore there is currently no way to get GB size information off of a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray disc.
    Actually that's not correct, there are BD drives that can read capacity of the 4K BD since it's the video that's a new format, not the disc itself.

There is some new Pioneer BD-ROM drives that are suppose to be released in the year 2017 in the USA that can read 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, but they have not been released yet. Every BD-ROM computer drive that I have tried can not read a BD-66 or BD-100 disc including a BDXL computer drive.

cupboy is offline Member

While its ideal to purchase the OPPO UDP-203 directly from OPPO Digital INC’s website at ...
    No it's not. It's ideal to get it from Crutchfield because they will double box it. And free shipping. And rewards points.

In the old days OPPO Blu-ray players were only available from OPPO Digital INC and the only way to get it sent double boxed was if one ordered a QTY of 2 players at a time from OPPO Digital INC directly, then the OPPO Blu-ray players were shipped in a large official QTY 2 OPPO master carton.

Amazon, Crutchfield, and select other dealers are now authorized to sale OPPO Blu-ray players. That is nice to know that Crutchfield is double boxing the UDP-203 in QTY’s of only one and then on top of that offering it for only $549 with free shipping. I am surprised that they are able to make a profit doing this since it was my understanding that even resellers pay almost full price for the players with maybe a 10% discount off the price (I do not know the exact pricing discount OPPO Digital INC is offering big mail order resellers, so maybe it’s more than 10%).

On Amazon its mostly OPPO Digital INC selling their Blu-ray players directly since Amazon collects around a $50 fee for each player sold (plus or minus a few dollars with around 10% commission fees charged by Amazon). That means someone that paid $549 plus $18 shipping would have to sale it on Amazon for around $625+ just to break even. Many of the 3rd party resellers on Amazon modify the Blu-ray player to be region selectable for Blu-ray and DVD’s and then mark the UDP-203 up an extra $200+.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

As of this date I have still not seen this player for sale and sold by Amazon. Has been 3rd party with a hefty markup.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Boston007 is online now Member

Crutchfield is out of stock, shocker

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    As of this date I have still not seen this player for sale and sold by Amazon. Has been 3rd party with a hefty markup.
    4 days ago OPPO Digital INC has been selling the UDP-203 directly as a Amazon dealer for $549 plus shipping.

dianebrat is online now Member

There is some new Pioneer BD-ROM drives that are suppose to be released in the year 2017 in the USA that can read 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, but they have not been released yet. Every BD-ROM computer drive that I have tried can not read a BD-66 or BD-100 disc including a BDXL computer drive.
    Following up after I finally had a chance to double check my results, I could have sworn I'd read capacity with my external Pioneer BDXL drive for 4K discs, but in trying to replicate it I could not, mea culpa on my side.

cupboy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Crutchfield is out of stock, shocker
    They have stock now. And I sent mine back today so they may have a discounted one early next week.
    They also have the new Sony X800 in stock.

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
    They have stock now. And I sent mine back today so they may have a discounted one early next week.
    They also have the new Sony X800 in stock.
    TEMPTING but I may wait till I have a new 4K tv then upgrade to the Oppo

3-D information for OPPO UDP-203 owners

There are some older 3-D Blu-ray discs on the market that will allow people to play the program in 2-D for people that want to watch the program in 2-D and for consumers that do not own 3-D equipment. However most newer Blu-ray 3-D discs are locked by the studio and when consumers try and playback the Blu-ray on a 2-D display a message will pop up on the screen notifying the user that playback of the Blu-ray disc is not allowed since 3-D compatible equipment is not detected (no 3-D display and no 3-D A/V receiver HDMI passthrough technology is detected). Of course most 3-D movies like the Hobbit come with a standard 2-D Blu-ray disc to play the movie in standard 2-D. All standalone Blu-ray players on the market including the OPPO UDP-203 will not convert a 3-D locked Blu-ray disc to 2-D (PowerDVD 16 Ultra for Windows computers BD-ROM drives will convert locked 3-D Blu-ray discs to 2-D).

Therefore on a locked Blu-ray 3-D disc when the 3-D output is set to “Auto” or “Off” for the OPPO UDP-203 while 2-D equipment is connected, a pop up message from the studio will notify the consumer that 3-D equipment is not detected so playback is not allowed. Now if the 3-D Blu-ray disc is not locked then when “Off” is selected, the UDP-203 will then always output 2-D.

Now when “Forced” 3D is selected on the OPPO UDP-203, the OPPO will always output 3D video for native 3-D Blu-ray discs. If ones display is 2-D only, one will either see a black screen with no picture at all, or you will see both the left 1080P 24fps frame and the right 1080P 24fps frame right next to each other in a top and bottom style (An old 2-D 4K Ultra HD desktop computer monitor from LG allows one to see both the left and right frames on the screen at the exact same time when forced is selected).

With a 3-D DLP projector, when the frames are unpacked by the projectors processor a true native 1080P 48Hz 3-D image is triple flashed to 144Hz (each eye sees a separate left and right 72Hz 1080P image to produce the 3-D effect using either active glasses or passive glasses). Now with a high-end dual DLP projector IMAX style setup in ones home, the 3-D image is 48Hz and with passive glasses each eye sees a separate left and right 1080P 24Hz image on the screen that produces the 3-D effect without the need to use triple flash technology. People that want real good Cinema quality 3-D in the home will either go with a 144Hz flicker free single DLP projector setup or a top of the line dual DLP projector IMAX style setup where each eye sees a flicker free native 24fps experience.

For movies like the Hobbit it ships with a standard Blu-ray 2-D version of the movie on one disc, and then since Blu-ray 3-D needs higher bit rates to maintain quality, the 3-D version of the Hobbit is on two separate Blu-ray discs which are also 3-D locked versions.

As far as I am aware all or most Blu-ray 3-D movies come with a standard 2-D version of the movie either on the same Blu-ray disc or on a separate Blu-ray disc. However all 3-D Blu-ray titles that ship with one Blu-ray disc are not 3-D locked, so one can play either the 3-D version of the documentary and 2-D version of the documentary. The advantage of offering dedicated 3-D only Blu-ray discs is that the movie can receive a higher bit rate when compared to the 2-D only version.

There are some exclusive 3-D bonus features for some Blu-ray movies, and if the Blu-ray disc is locked then no conversion to 2-D is possible. That is when one can use a Windows PC with PowerDVD 16 Ultra and a BD-ROM drive that will play locked Blu-ray 3-D's at 2-D quality.

The May 2017 issue of Sound and Vision magazine did a professional review on the OPPO UDP-203

On pages 54, 55, and 56 of the May 2017 Sound and Vision magazine there is a professional review that was done on the OPPO UDP-203. Currently Sound and Vision magazine has not made this review available online yet for free, when and if they do someone in this forum most likely will post the free link for those that do not subscribe to the magazine.

The only two negatives mentioned for the OPPO UDP-203 was no headphone jack and also no support for HDCD decoding (The HDCD decoding feature would have been a big audio positive for audiophiles with legacy HDCD optical discs). Headphone jack feature would have been nice but might have added $50+ to the price of the player. That is why OPPO Digital INC will release the much more expensive UDP-205 soon with a headphone jack built in.

On the positive side the UDP-203 is flawless and is the best of the best so far when it comes to a native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Sound and Vision magazine awarded the OPPO UDP-203 a “Top Pick” award for 2017.

Select quote from the review:

“You can buy an Ultra HD Blu-ray player for less. But here in early 2017, I can’t imagine you’ll find one that offers better performance, flexibility, and build quality than the Oppo UDP-203.”

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast