Oppo Releases HDR10+ Firmware Update for UDP-203 & UDP-205 4K Blu-ray Players - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Samsung literally told a group of journalists that "Dolby Vision was too expensive" and that's why it hasn't become the industry's premium standard even though every TV manufacturer understands the benefits of dynamic HDR metadata.
Has anyone seen dollar figures to licensing Dolby Vision? Is it simply like say $2 per unit built? $5? I cannot imagine it to be exorbitant. I recall Denon was charging $100 for a Firmware upgrade to do DTS:X in earlier receivers, but I doubt the license fee is anywhere near that so we were paying for development more than anything.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:47 PM

The problem with Dolby Vision though is that it looks terrible on quite a few displays. I thought my Dolby Vision woes would finally be gone after dumping my LG B6 for the Sony A9F but sadly, nope.

Perhaps Netflix should just stop having Dolby Vision content until everyone can get on the same page with it because it's very inconsistent there. Stranger Things can look absolutely stunning, but then Ozark looks like total crap. When regular HD content look better than 4K there is something definitely wrong. And it's not just me. Searching online I've come across many people experiencing excessively dark and muted Dolby Vision content, especially on Netflix.

Even Dolby Vision discs seem to be far inferior to my eyes than HDR. Stephen King's It and Black Panther just don't look that good in Dolby Vision (Sony A9F + Oppo 203). However, forcing HDR instead of Dolby Vision through the Oppo makes them looks great.

I'm just extremely disappointed with Dolby Vision on the whole. It's supposed to be an industry standard where everyone is on the same page, yet there are wildly different PQs from one title to the next. It's pretty bad when you have to downgrade Netflix because Dolby Vision stinks. So far maybe 20% of Dolby Vision content has looked good to me, and the other 80% has been pretty bad. Practically unwatchable.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
The problem with Dolby Vision though is that it looks terrible on quite a few displays. I thought my Dolby Vision woes would finally be gone after dumping my LG B6 for the Sony A9F but sadly, nope.
I have watched a handful of 4K disc movies on my Vizio P-series via Oppo UDP203. It's impossible to say as I didn't switch the 2 modes on the same movie, but thus far the DV movies I have watched easily outshine the HDR movies I have watched. Hardly sounds like DV is a dark turd.
Is it possible your TV uses different settings for each type of material being played and you simply need to adjust settings?
On my Vizio it doesn't break it down that far but I can adjust my settings globally or to a specific input. I opted for the latter as HDMI1 is the UDP203 and HDMI2 is from the receiver, which received the BDP-103D among other things and as the industry calls it, SDR needs its own settings. Even the review of Lion King 4K on this site, Michael indicates how much brighter the DV presentation was, but again, the DV presentation in this case was streaming. Different input, different settings (??)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I have watched a handful of 4K disc movies on my Vizio P-series via Oppo UDP203. It's impossible to say as I didn't switch the 2 modes on the same movie, but thus far the DV movies I have watched easily outshine the HDR movies I have watched. Hardly sounds like DV is a dark turd.
Is it possible your TV uses different settings for each type of material being played and you simply need to adjust settings?
On my Vizio it doesn't break it down that far but I can adjust my settings globally or to a specific input. I opted for the latter as HDMI1 is the UDP203 and HDMI2 is from the receiver, which received the BDP-103D among other things and as the industry calls it, SDR needs its own settings. Even the review of Lion King 4K on this site, Michael indicates how much brighter the DV presentation was, but again, the DV presentation in this case was streaming. Different input, different settings (??)
I don't think Vizio is one of the affected brands. The problems seem to be on LG and Sony that I know of. Not 100% sure if Panasonic was also problematic.

It's not settings. Been trying to monkey with settings for hours and hours and nothing works. It's how I discovered many other users are experiencing the same kind of issues as I've been trying to search for a fix, but sadly there doesn't seem to be any (currently). Sony, LG, and Netflix have apparently been aware of the problem for months but don't seem to be doing anything about it.

I'm sure Dolby Vision is perfectly fine for a lot of people. But when there is something in it that seems to be negatively affecting so many displays it really needs to be addressed and corrected, and if not (or it can't) then it should be dumped for something more consistent. Having experienced so many issues on multiple displays with streaming as well as disc playback I'm really starting to loathe DV and find it to be highly overrated. However, if these issues get fixed then I'm sure it would change my mind.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 PM

I'm glad Oppo is taking care to provide feature updates as promised as I have a 203 (and a 205 that I haven't unboxed yet), and who knows how many titles will end up having HDR10+ onboard. As of now though, I have two Sony sets that are HDR10-only, but have enough nit power that I probably won't be missing much while I wait a few more years to upgrade.