WB canceling all LOTR preorders!!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 AM

Default WB canceling all LOTR preorders!!!!

I just received this email

Thank you for pre-ordering Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray from WBshop.com.

Unfortunately, the release date for this product has been delayed and we are canceling all pre-orders for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray. Please accept our apologies for this unexpected situation.

Next time you visit WBshop.com, please take advantage of the coupon code below. This code is good for $10 off any Blu-ray, video game, or On Demand purchase greater than $20 and is valid through June 2010.

Actually...When I called them on it, they said it was being postponed more than a year out and that they will not carry orders that far out.

The problem is I ordered it with a buy 2 get one free. So now I have paid full price for the 2 that I received and when I asked if I could return the 2 for a rrefund she said that I have had them to long and that they are past the return stage.

For those who just preordered LOTR you are out nothing but I am out $75.00 the way I ordered it.

Bad Bad deal

Sorry if this is in the wrong place
Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 AM

Dude, don't let them pull that shit. Bother them till you get refunded. Ask for like 33% back or something. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM

That sucks bad! Call them back. If the new rep won't refund you ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor won't refund you, ask to speak to there supervisor till you get someone to refund you.
Email carpet bomb them?
Issue a chargeback?
Send your story to the consumerist?
You bought something at a certain price and now they changed the terms. I don't think so.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 AM

my Amazon pre-order is still out there...do you think this has anything to do with all the people griping about wanted the EE's?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anavrin0901 View Post
my Amazon pre-order is still out there...do you think this has anything to do with all the people griping about wanted the EE's?
That would be my guess. Here's hoping the delay means theatrical/extended with seamless branching!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Seamless branching of the extended editions is the only way this trilogy should be released.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM

This is one of the reasons why I avoid pre-orders.
I do not see any advantage in paying somebody for a product that does not exist yet.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Oh Lord...

Well...I held out. Maybe there was too much backlash about releasing only the theatrical versions that they feel it won't sell. People are being judicious about their money nowadaze. It is only right they put out the DEFINITIVE editions with the extended cuts. One Version To Rule Them All?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM

While I'd like to believe that WB is shelving this release in order to release a single, definitive TE+EE set, I'm not jumping for joy -- or jumping to conclusions -- just yet. Nothing here would indicate that they still won't follow the "TE then EE" release pattern, just that both, now, are further out on the horizon than we'd have hoped. The Hobbit begins principal photography in five months, and casting still isn't complete, to say nothing of the fact that Jackson, Walsh and Boyens will likely be "set-committed" during its entire production between script revisions and creative consulting; Jackson has also repeatedly said that he wants to be intensively involved in the production of the "EE uber-set" (including hints that some of the dodgier SFX might be "corrected"), and his plate is overflowing right now -- and will continue to be for some time.

My guess (and worst fear) is that the TE box set will be released in conjunction with the first half of The Hobbit in December 2011, and the EE in time for the second half in December 2012. Then will come the Hobbit TE in early 2013, followed by the EE in late 2013/early 2014, followed by the ultra-mega-set in to-scale Bag End packaging in 2014-2015. A few hundred vocal complainers on Amazon and in web forums won't, I fear, do anything to change their milking these properties in the same tried-and-true way they've relied upon to this point. A better-case scenario might put a TE/EE box in the late-2011 window, but that's still two years off.

I hope I'm completely wrong. But it's not unlikely at all that we'll be waiting for LOTR in ANY form for two years...and what we get then might well be what we were complaining about getting for this holiday season.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Oh, and if you think THAT's an upsetting prospect, read these very reliable insider scoops on the changes made to The Hobbit. I'm already starting my web petition to halt the films' production.

http://www.isleyunruh.com/?p=738