Amazon policy change on new release shipping? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Amazon policy change on new release shipping?

I've been a Amazon Prime member for about 3 years and I buy the majority of my Blu-rays from Amazon. Typically, when I placed a pre-order for a forthcoming new release, Amazon would ship it on the Monday and I'd receive it on Wednesday. Every once in awhile, Amazon would ship it on Friday or Saturday and I'd receive it on Tuesday. But 99% of the time, it would ship on Monday and my Amazon Prime 2-day shipping would get it to me on Wednesday.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed this text on the order pages for new releases:

Quote:
Want to receive this the day it comes out?
Select FREE Two-Day Shipping at checkout.
And, sure enough, that's exactly what it said on the Amazon page for Contact on Blu-ray. And, since Contact was the next pre-order I had coming from Amazon, I was curious to see what happened.

Interestingly, Amazon did NOT ship Contact on Friday or Saturday. I thought sure they might. So, I was already wondering what the hell the above text meant. Well, much to my surprise, Amazon shipped my Contact Blu-ray today (Monday) and shipped it via overnight UPS. It is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, on the actual release day!

I don't know exactly when Amazon changed this policy, but I certainly applaud it vigorously! I know many folks in other areas of the country have been receiving their Amazon pre-orders on release day for some time. But I think those areas were mostly folks that were within one day of normal UPS service from an Amazon distribution facility. Mine have always taken two days.

I really hope this is a permanent change in Blu-ray pre-order shipping policy for Amazon!

Mark
Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM

I've been a prime member for about a year now. Every time I order a new release, it has arrived on that tuesday (and in the case of Sin City and the Wrestler, they came monday).

I think one of the main factors is the location of you to the shipping center.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher & Sons View Post
I think one of the main factors is the location of you to the shipping center.
I agree with that. I always get pre-orders on Tuesday, and anything that ships from Sparks, NV (I live in Sackramento) arrives overnight.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 AM

Me too, I get stuff shipping on Sunday/Monday, and arriving Tuesday 98% of the time. It's great. 5 of my pre-orders shipped out today, and probably 3 out of the 5 will arrive tomorrow, with the other 2 arriving the next day.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

I'd rather have price-protection back. Shipping pre-ordered items earlier will just let them drop the price on release day (or Wed.) to match the brick & mortar competition, without having to compensate the early birds.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLskydiver View Post
I'd rather have price-protection back. Shipping pre-ordered items earlier will just let them drop the price on release day (or Wed.) to match the brick & mortar competition, without having to compensate the early birds.

I strongly concur!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the preorder price guarantee says that if the Amazon price decreases between your order time and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. Of course that still leaves them free to lower the price again first thing Wednesday morning though.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Amazon does seem to be stepping it up. I ordered "Star Trek: First Contact" the Tuesday it was released, along with a few other discs, figuring I'd have them for the weekend. They shipped that afternoon and were delivered on Wednesday.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I, too would rather have that. I am not all that concerned about whether I get a new release on Tuesday or Wednesday. I may not have time to watch it right away anyway.

For the record, I usually get my new releases on Wednesday. I have been a Prime member for several years, and that has happened 98% of the time. I did get an e-mail on Saturday saying the Snow White had shipped, so we'll see if I get it today or tomorrow.

It also depends on where they ship from. If they are shipping from a UPS 1-day shipping point, they can ship it on the day before and you will get it the next day via regular ground.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Yes, this is new for me too. I have been an Amazon Prime member for 2 years now. The most recent was Disney's "Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs" which streets today (October 6th) and was delivered yesterday (by U.S. mail no less). It was shipped last Friday. I'm very happy that Amazon is getting our movies to us on or before release day.