'The Prisoner: The Complete Series' is $50.49 at Amazon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Default 'The Prisoner: The Complete Series' is $50.49 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C68WOG
Old 09-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Wow, that's an awesome price! Way cheaper than the DVD series used to be!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM

I am having a hard time deciding between the UK and the US sets. I have a multi-region player, so can play the UK set, but each has negatives and positives.

US (A&E)
Positive:
$50 price
Plays region 1 so no problem in case my multi-region player breaks down

Negative:
Which prints will they use for the Blu set? (the UK Network DVD prints are reported to be better than A&E's DVD prints).
Only has 5 discs. UK set has 6. What's on that extra disc?
No book (the UK edition has a 200+ page book on the series)

UK
Positive:
6 discs
Excellent prints to work from
Has book
Comes out a month before the U.S. set

Negatives:
Price is $12 more
Region-B locked, so if something happens to my player I can't see it unless I get new region-free player (my other two Blu players are Region-1 locked).

Need to figure it out soon because I have a standing order with Amazon UK and it comes out on Monday.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Here's some more info that might help you make up your mind

* A&E version is in association with Network, so the USA quality "should" be identical to UK.
* UK first run with book is apparently a limited package - it will probably switch to something simpler later. If this matters to you, you might want to prioritize the UK release.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Panda View Post
Here's some more info that might help you make up your mind

* A&E version is in association with Network, so the USA quality "should" be identical to UK.
* UK first run with book is apparently a limited package - it will probably switch to something simpler later. If this matters to you, you might want to prioritize the UK release.

LOL, you just put one on each side, so I am just an undecided as ever.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
LOL, you just put one on each side, so I am just an undecided as ever.
Huh.
about $66 for the Uk with 6 discs and a speical booklet,
or $50 (maybe less when it comes out) for the 5 disc A&E set.

Depends how great a fan you are and if is actually is locked to region b. (has the region lock been confirmed yet?)

My thought on the 6th disc is maybe the Uk are BD-25s.

I think if you are a big fan the Uk set has to be the way to go.

Now if they'd only release a uncut Nero Wolf set

**EDIT** Form Networks site
Quote:
Thought-provoking, revelatory and just plain cool - McGoohan’s iconic series is as fresh and dynamic now as it was when first unleashed upon an unsuspecting world in 1967.

Available here for the first time is the complete series, digitally restored in High Definition from the original 35mm film elements, presented at a quality level never previously seen.

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

• Limited edition special packaging
• ‘Don’t Knock Yourself Out’ - this exclusive, feature-length documentary is the definitive look at the production of ‘The Prisoner’, with contributions from those involved in its creation
• Newly restored original edit of ‘Arrival’ with an optional music-only soundtrack featuring Wilfred Josephs’ complete and abandoned score
• newly created 5.1 audio soundtracks for each show, plus the original mono soundtrack
• Production crew audio commentaries on seven episodes
• Trailers for all episodes
• Archive textless material, including the title sequence with clean themes by Ron Grainer, Wilfred Josephs and Robert Farnon
• Commercial Break Bumpers
• Behind-the-scenes footage, including much previously unseen
• Script and Production Documentation PDFs
• Image Galleries with Music Suites
• Exclusive book on the making of the series by Andrew Pixley
• And much, much more

Catalogue Number: 7957003
Classification: PG
Picture: 1.33:1 / Colour
Subtitles: English
Time: 850 mins approx + extras
Barcode: 5027626700348
Number of Discs: 6
Sound: 5.1 / Mono / English
Region: B

This product was added to our catalog on Thursday 03 September, 2009.
From A&E

Quote:
A&E Has Partnered with Network DVD to Deliver the Completely Restored Series,

NEW YORK, NY - When THE PRISONER made its U.S debut in the summer of '68 on CBS, it was immediately apparent that Patrick McGoohan's innovative series was one of the most fascinating and thought-provoking programs to ever hit the airwaves.

Streeting just prior to the premiere of the highly anticipated reinterpretation of THE PRISONER (starring James Caviezel and Ian McKellen) on AMC, is certain to continue to mesmerize viewing audiences and build on its place as one of television's most dramatic achievements.

Befitting this groundbreaking series, THE PRISONER BLU-RAY EDITION features a singular collection of rare bonus programming - much of it never before released in North America, including:

* "Don't Knock Yourself Out": this exclusive, feature-length documentary is the definitive look at the production of THE PRISONER, told by those involved in its creation. It includes a combination of archive and newly-filmed interviews with nearly 400 people, including Amette Andre, Bernard Williams, David Tomblin, Derren Nesbitt, Peter Wyngarde, Anton Rodgers, Michael Grade, George Baker and Peter Bowles.
* Additional featurettes:
o "The Pink Prisoner:": Peter Wyngarde pays tribute to the series in this unique cross between an interview and comedy sketch
o "You Make Sure it Fits": music editor Eric Mival discusses his role behind the scenes in making 'The Prisoner' and provides a unique look at the Music Bible for the show
* Newly restored original edit of "Arrival" with an optional music-only soundtrack featuring Wilfred Josephs' complete and abandoned score
* Original edit of the episode "The Chimes of Big Ben"
* Production crew audio commentaries on seven episodes
* Image Archive: individual galleries of over 1,200 stills are featured throughout this set, including episodic shots, generic/PR Photos, coverage of the original press conference in 1967 and Jack Shampan's designs.
* Archive material, including textless titles with clean themes by Ron Grainer, Wilfred Josephs, and Robert Farnon, as well as material from Rover, Foreign 'Filing Cabinet' title footage and the McGoohan photo montage from "Arrival."
* Production Paperwork Archive: original scripts for each episode, along with other rarely-seen production documentation, press releases, call sheets and other memorabilia. This unique collection is sourced from the personal archives of Tony Sloman, Steven Ricks, and Simon Coward and is reproduced here with their permission and assistance. (DVD-ROM Feature)
* Exposure strips gallery
* Commercial break bumpers
* Trailers for all episodes
* Preview of AMC's 'The Prisoner' mini-series remake

THE PRISONER: BLU RAY EDITION
Genre: Cult Classic TV
Street date: October 27, 2009
SRP: $99.95
Running Time: 14 hrs, 44 min. + extras
Format: Blu-Ray/5 Discs

Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-17-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=The_Doctor;1685512](has the region lock been confirmed yet?)

Doctor, check out the 2nd to last line in the Network thing you copied: "Region: B."
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskiessmingatme View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
(has the region lock been confirmed yet?)
Doctor, check out the 2nd to last line in the Network thing you copied: "Region: B."
That's not confirmation i was speaking of. By confirmation I meant someone with the disc in hand or other wise confirming the the disc manufactured is locked.

Like what happened with Gladiator in UK and Germany, it was listed as Region B, but turned out to be region free.
Sometime the region listing on products is a hold over from the DVD regions especially when PAL was incompatible for those importing it.

If Network had region lock in the past I suppose they will continue to, but you never know. That is why I asked

PS everything A&E did in the past was Region Free so I suppose the Prisoner would be too.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM

Yeah, the runtime is wrong on the Network site too. Looks like it was just copied from their DVD release. The US DVD release is 884 minutes. Because of PAL speedup, the UK DVD is 850 minutes.

A&E lists the Blu-ray release as 884 minutes. Network is still listing their BD release as 850 minutes, which would mean it would have to have PAL speedup if true (1080i50 on Blu-ray).
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
Yeah, the runtime is wrong on the Network site too. Looks like it was just copied from their DVD release. The US DVD release is 884 minutes. Because of PAL speedup, the UK DVD is 850 minutes.

A&E lists the Blu-ray release as 884 minutes. Network is still listing their BD release as 850 minutes, which would mean it would have to have PAL speedup if true (1080i50 on Blu-ray).
I believe both versions will be transferred at 24fps.