'Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition' $18.99 at Amazon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Default 'Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition' $18.99 at Amazon

Today's deal of the day:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/
Old 07-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Today's deal of the day:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/
Did they ever fix that problem of the package not including the final cut? I'd hate to have to go through the trouble of requesting another disc.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM

what problem????
Old 07-17-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm very happy to be proved wrong, but I think this only applied to the first few packages, didn't it?

Many thanks to whoever posted this news as I've been wanting the 5 disc version. I had the red-top five disc but wasn't willing to re-buy until it was down to a cheap enough price.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:04 PM

re-bought this and two traderbora hd dvds to get the free shipping. I've been kicking myself for trading this over 1 1/2 ago, finally got it back at a reasonable price.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbolly View Post
what problem????
I remember reading that some were getting two copies of some other disc in the 5 disc set instead of getting the disc with the Final Cut on it. I'm not sure if it was just with the first packages and corrected later or if people are still running into this.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:08 PM

5 Discs for one movie is overkill. This is a movie Harrison Ford himself hated and thought was overrated (he hated his character -- a detective that doesn't do any detecting).
Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostn View Post
5 Discs for one movie is overkill. This is a movie Harrison Ford himself hated and thought was overrated (he hated his character -- a detective that doesn't do any detecting).
Harrison? Is that you? Sorry that Ridley never wanted you in another movie...hmmm wonder why
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 PM

Posted by lostn: 5 Discs for one movie is overkill. This is a movie Harrison Ford himself hated and thought was overrated (he hated his character -- a detective that doesn't do any detecting).

It's strange that a movie that was once so under-rated and under-appreciated became over-rated. I have the HD DVD version, watched all the special features, and came to the conclusion that it is a good movie, but not that good. I do not feel the need to purchase in Blu. But those that don't have it, it's a great deal. It's worth it to get the narration version.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
came to the conclusion that it is a good movie, but not that good
I sort of agree. I find the plot and direction pedestrian. For a movie that is all about chasing people, the central characters spend too much time pontificating about not much. There is never any feeling of the thrill of the chase. Now this wouldn't matter if it was a 'searching for something' movie that e.g. Kurosawa did so well, and used it as an excuse to examine society's ills. But the film isn't terribly cerebral either. The potentially fascinating argument about what precisely makes us human is thrown away on the trite Rachel-Deckard affair, which is lamely handled. Accordingly, the movie ends up being neither flesh nor fowl - it isn't a chase movie in the mainstream Hollywood mode, nor is it a philosophical vehicle as in arthouse cinema. It's something of both, but does neither very well.

So why do I still like Blade Runner so much? Because the imagined world is so compelling, the cinematography is excellent (and only the high def versions do it justice), and it's the total feel of the thing that excites. I think it's a classic case of the sum exceeding the parts. And of course Blade Runner was hugely influential in shaping the style and look of similar films that followed.