Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead $13.99 on Amazon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 PM

Default Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead $13.99 on Amazon

This is the first of three specials released this year instead of a full season. This is also the first Doctor Who High-Def release as it is the first which was shot in high definition.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvoljj View Post
This is the first of three specials released this year instead of a full season. This is also the first Doctor Who High-Def release as it is the first which was shot in high definition.
Hummm. So far it is cheaper than importing it.

I wonder what the differences between the UK and the US disc will be. I hope with HD they finally get rid of the rift that usually exists.

Also what will the Special features be? With the DVD release they usually off a quick gimped edition, a full feature edition with better sound, commentaries and extra features like Dr Who Confidential is usually released later with the set.

Again no reason they should have to follow the pattern set by DVD and hopefully they don't.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 AM

I'd bite if it were a few specials, but one 60 minute special for $14? I'll pass.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I may have to get this just so I have the Doctor in HD - I will Netflix it first and see what the extra is like. $14 is not bad - but I bet it goes down to $10 a few months after it comes out.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM

I already gathered seasons 1 to 4 on DVD, and I've seen that this is a common practice for them. They do release the christmas or any other specials in separate DVD's, they group episodes and sell DVD volumes, and at last, they gather all season episodes and specials and sell a complete season set.

The DVD complete season sets start expensive (40 quid in Amazon UK or $70 in Amazon). I don't even want to speculate how much more the Season 5 Dr. Who Blu-Ray set will cost when released (after being televised, of course).
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigou View Post
I already gathered seasons 1 to 4 on DVD, and I've seen that this is a common practice for them. They do release the christmas or any other specials in separate DVD's, they group episodes and sell DVD volumes, and at last, they gather all season episodes and specials and sell a complete season set.

The DVD complete season sets start expensive (40 quid in Amazon UK or $70 in Amazon). I don't even want to speculate how much more the Season 5 Dr. Who Blu-Ray set will cost when released (after being televised, of course).
Are you counting the 3 specials this year as Season 5?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodieb View Post
I may have to get this just so I have the Doctor in HD - I will Netflix it first and see what the extra is like. $14 is not bad - but I bet it goes down to $10 a few months after it comes out.
It might, but I've only once seen a Dr Who single episode DVD go down in price and sell for $10 new. And that was a rare Sam's club deal. Dr Who has a very loyal fan base that is accustomed to paying handsomely for the shows.

Of course that was for the classic series. The New Series, hum, well they have reduced the 1-3 series set to around 19.

I would expect there to be a set release when the specials are done that should be cheaper than buying the individual Blus (or dvds)
Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Are you counting the 3 specials this year as Season 5?
Yes, they are part of season 5. I already have the "complete season 4" DVD set and they are not part of it.

The season 4 dvd set includes the "Voyage of the Damned" 2007 christmas special and the Children in Need's "Time Crash" aired on November 2007.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigou View Post
Yes, they are part of season 5. I already have the "complete season 4" DVD set and they are not part of it.

The season 4 dvd set includes the "Voyage of the Damned" 2007 christmas special and the Children in Need's "Time Crash" aired on November 2007.
The BBC is calling all 3 specials Season 5, Season 6 will start next year.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The BBC is calling all 3 specials Season 5, Season 6 will start next year.
Then this wikipedia link will need to be updated. They say series 5 starts next year.