Got HULK for $9 at Moviestop and here's how... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Got HULK for $9 at Moviestop and here's how...

So yeah, I just picked up the new Hulk sealed BR at Moviestop for about $9.25. Great deal on this one there.

I've posted once before about this, but MS has outstanding prices on big release BRs IF you reserve them first.

For Hulk, the sticker was $29.99 but the reserve price was only $21.62.

So, if you know Moviestop, you know that you can trade in any old 4 SD discs and they give you $16 off a future BR new release on reserve.

This in itself is outstanding cause you could sell them the same 4 SDs and get maybe $6 store credit if lucky. But on a reserve trade it's worth $16.

So, today I only paid a tad over $6 w/ tax for Hulk.

The reason I paid about $9 is cause I've started scouring ebay for cheap used DVD lots. I've bought 3 so far and won't pay any more than $1.50 an SD inc shipping. I recently got 12 DVDs for about $18.

Then....I just go and trade 4 in and get $16 off a BR reserve.

In the Hulk's case here, my total cost was about $9 grand total. Can't beat that!

If you follow this formula, some BRs you'll pay about $12-13 for a new release, but others will be this low. The guy at MS today commented on what a deal I got and said the reserve prices are that low for really big releases like Iron Man and The Dark Knight.

Of course, you can also trade in any old SDs you have lying around which I've already done. BUT, if you buy cheap lots on ebay...just make sure they're recognizable big studio films, not those $1 bargain public domain titles.

Moviestop will take anything though as long as it's big studio. They'll also take used Blockbuster copies. I traded in 3 HEAVILY scratched old SDs and they even took them, I was surprised.

So try this out if you like. It may seem like a little much, but it's just online and there's a MS right down the street for me so well worth it to me.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Former Member

that is a game plan. you have done your research on how to work a system/promotion, so hey, ok. but there's no moviestop's near me, sadly. wish there was, i'd love to see one sometime.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I wish there was a movie stop near me...I have tons of standard dvd's I would like to trade in for Blu-rays.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:06 PM

so the trade 4 for a brand new dvd ($16 credit) is back??? It used to be $20 towards a BR, and i blatantly abused the crap out of it until it was gone. I would buy 4 $2 SDVD right in front of them, trade them in, and buy them again. End up being $8 for every catalog BD
Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 PM

It's only for reserving upcoming new release BRs.

So you couldn't do this for stuff in the store itself or things already released.....like Hulk or Iron Man.

BUT, you can do it for mostly any major upcoming release.

Remembering the list....you could do it now for:

Hellboy 2
Kung Fu Panda
Get Smart
Dark Knight
Wanted
Hancock
Stepbrothers
Pineapple Express
Tropic Thunder
Wall-E
Horton HEars a Who
Mamma Mia

I'm sure I"m forgetting a couple as well.

It would be great if you could do it for any upcoming release cause I certainly would've for the Bonds and a couple others...but hey, still a good deal so I can't complain.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 PM

which one are you going to?? Pleasant Hill or Mall of GA?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Pleasant Hill.

Also, forgot to mention....but you usually get a free little gift too. I got nothing for Hulk but did get the posters for Iron Man and Indy when reserving.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 AM

I think I might have a Moviestop near me. I'm surprised they don't have a website. So I'm assuming you have to go into the store to reserve the movie? Do you have to pay for the movie when reserving it and do u trade in the 4 standard DVDs when reserving as well? How do u know what the prices are for upcoming releases if u reserve them?

Sorry for all the questions, but interested in this process. May contemplate canceling my pre-orders on Amazon for this deal . . .
Old 10-22-2008, 12:35 AM

This is a good idea. I was looking up how much some dvds i have go for on half.com and one was $0.95!! But there arn't very many Moviestop locations around the country.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:16 AM

Wish I had a moviestop by my. Just gamestop around here. I have a bunch of dvd's I'd like to unload.