Fry's $7.99 & Up Specials 6/6 - 6/10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM

Default Fry's $7.99 & Up Specials 6/6 - 6/10

Fry's has the following Blu-ray titles on special from Friday, June 6 until Tuesday, June 10:

$7.99
Blackbeard
Curse of King Tut's Tomb
10.5: Apocalypse
Poseidon Adventure
Final Days of Planet Earth
Category 7
No Gut No Glory
The Last Sentinel

$13.99
Goodfellas
Blood Diamond
Last Samurai
Eyes Wide Shut
Training Day
Bullitt
Blazing Saddles
Alexander Revisted
Deliverance
Dog Day Afternoon
The Getaway
Lethal Weapon

$19.99
Blade Runner

$27.99
Meet the Spartans
Semi-Pro
Longest Day
Sand Pebbles
Patton
Cloverfield
There Will be Blood

$28.99
The Eye
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM

I used to shop at Fry's every weekend but their BD prices have went up since Warner gave up HD DVD so I dont shop there anymore. My anger wears off every month or so now and I go back and look at the prices again and it starts all over. Movies that used to be 18.99 and 19.99 are now 22.99 and 23.99.

These "sales" are rarely sales. The 7.99 movies arent real movies. The 13.99 cat is pretty good, but they are all really old movies. The 27.99 and 28.99 isnt even a sale at all. They coudnt have done 24.99 for the 27.99 batch ? They might as well go all Target and Worst Buy on us and charge 34.99. Its crazy.

Props to the OP I just needed to vent about Fry's greed for a moment.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
Don't forget their $6 S/H price just to ship one movie...
Old 06-06-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I used to shop at Fry's every weekend but their BD prices have went up since Warner gave up HD DVD so I dont shop there anymore. My anger wears off every month or so now and I go back and look at the prices again and it starts all over. Movies that used to be 18.99 and 19.99 are now 22.99 and 23.99.

These "sales" are rarely sales. The 7.99 movies arent real movies. The 13.99 cat is pretty good, but they are all really old movies. The 27.99 and 28.99 isnt even a sale at all. They coudnt have done 24.99 for the 27.99 batch ? They might as well go all Target and Worst Buy on us and charge 34.99. Its crazy.

All true, but come Christmas maybe we can hope for some more $10 deals like last year. I bought a lot of titles during Fry's holiday sales.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I used to shop at Fry's every weekend but their BD prices have went up since Warner gave up HD DVD so I dont shop there anymore... I just needed to vent about Fry's greed for a moment.
Overstated above - I disagree.

At local retail outlets (not Amazon), until Best Buy had that recent "2 BDs for $30" sale, to my knowledge Fry's (and occasionally Target) were the only brick-&-mortar stores with decent sale prices (since Toshiba ended HD-DVD support on 2/19/08).

In fact, I only used BB to 'price match' a Fry's ad (since my local Fry's is located farther away from me), and also I earn BB Reward Zone points (good towards those $ gift certificates).

And during the last few months, it's become common to find yet another Fry's Blu-ray sale ad being posted here on the forum - not BB, CC, etc, as they haven't ever been as low as Fry's until just recently.

Now Wal-mart is getting into sale-priced BDs (a few titles in their 10-day Father's Day promotion that began today). But I still look every Friday for my weekly Fry's deluxe newspaper ad, as they usually offer a better deal than their competitors (named above).
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
Overstated above - I disagree.

At local retail outlets (not Amazon), until Best Buy had that recent "2 BDs for $30" sale, to my knowledge Fry's (and occasionally Target) were the only brick-&-mortar stores with decent sale prices (since Toshiba ended HD-DVD support on 2/19/08).

In fact, I only used BB to 'price match' a Fry's ad (since my local Fry's is located farther away from me), and also I earn BB Reward Zone points (good towards those $ gift certificates).

And during the last few months, it's become common to find yet another Fry's Blu-ray sale ad being posted here on the forum - not BB, CC, etc, as they haven't ever been as low as Fry's until just recently.

Now Wal-mart is getting into sale-priced BDs (a few titles in their 10-day Father's Day promotion that began today). But I still look every Friday for my weekly Fry's deluxe newspaper ad, as they usually offer a better deal than their competitors (named above).

But it is true that they raised their prices by a few bucks after the Warner resolved the format war. There's probably many factors that played into why this was done (format war, economy). But it certainly left some of us feeling like Fry's bumped up their prices only so they could make a greater profit from the anticipated influx of post-format war Blu-Ray buyers. I'm not criticizing Fry's decision to try and make a profit but their repricing gave me the impression that they decided to cash in.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:06 PM

My two cents on this is simple... I too look to Fry's first for great sale pricing. That said... This weeks sale, at least for us who now have both formats, is terrible. Why... because every title @ $13.99 can be found cheaper on HD-DVD. There is no exclusive Blu-Ray title to be found for that price in this sale. The $7.99 sale are movies that went straight to DVD or were made for the Sci_fi Channel.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamed Pegasus View Post
Don't forget their $6 S/H price just to ship one movie...

Yeah, there shipping is expensive. But you can get up to like 5 movies for the same shipping. It starts high beause they only use DHL.