B&N Criterion 50% off sale is live! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default B&N Criterion 50% off sale is live!

The Barnes and Noble Criterion Collection sale is ON! Save 50% off on most every Criterion Collection title. Offer is good in-store or online.
The sale lasts just 3-weeks so open up those wallets now and open them up often.
Official B&N list (Blu Rays Only) HERE

The below Q&A is not meant to slam Amazon who so graciously helps fund this site. They're just cold hard facts. Remember my opinions do not reflect the opinions of HDD or IB.

Q&A:
Q: Oh gee, doesn't B&N inflate the prices, thus not making this a sale? Shouldn't I just go to Amazon.com and save?
A: Glad you asked... NO, they do not inflate the prices. The MSRP on Criterion titles at the store are the exact same MSRPs listed on Amazon.com. On an average Criterion movie, you would be lucky to see them at even 30% off on Amazon. Some of the more popular titles might be close to the 50% mark, but not very many.

Q: Why would I shop B&N when they rip me off by charging sales tax?
A: Paying sales tax is not being ripped off, it's the law. All those years of siphoning from Amazon and not paying 2 cents on it is technically breaking the law. With 50% off and still fulfilling your legal duties, in most cases you come out well ahead of Amazon prices. B&N stays in business by following the law.

Q: Are gift cards or in-store credit vouchers good for this sale?
A: Yes-there is no such restriction on gift cards or vouchers.

Q: My Ex that I cannot stand mans the counter at my local B&N, what should I do?
A: You have several options here. Choose a day that you know your Ex is not working, choose a different B&N location if you're in a large metro area or go online to barnesandnoble.com - either way this simple obstacle should not stop you from filling your Criterion Collection craving.

Q: I heard there was disc rot on all Criterion Discs, what are you going to say about that, huh?
A: A handful of titles have been identified to contain disc rot. These titles were produced during a specific time frame at a specific factory. Criterion has offered replacements to all discs affected by this issue. Unlike other companies who shall remain nameless Criterion has taken care of its customers. Criterion, much like other companies produces the content, not the actual physical disc. Not everyone is like Sony who has their own factories (which by the way have produced faulty discs as well.) But unlike say Sony, Criterion has acknowledged the issue and issued replacement discs. Our BLOG has discussed the issue in detail. Check out the thread on the topic which also includes a link to the Blog discussion.

Q: My nose does not point high enough, aren't Criterion Collection discs only for snobs and people with bad tastes in movies?
A: Ummm, no. Criterion may release lots and lots of titles that many of us have never heard of and some of them truly are gems, but if you're just a mainstream kind of guy. Have you never heard of movies like Godzilla, Watership Down, Tootsie, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Blob, Traffic, Time Bandits, Scanners, The Thin Red Line to name a few?

Q: I found those movies overseas for much less money, bet you can't tell me I am getting a deal now right?
A: Go ahead and buy those movies overseas. If you get around a possible region lock issue you will then see you get stuck with lossy audio, incorrect aspect ratio, even just a totally crappy transfer. You might find one single movie on the list that contradicts my answer and if so, you deserve a cookie.

Q: Can you help find my dog? I really think that B&N has something to do with its disappearance.
A: No, now get off my lawn ya little bastard! You've gone beyond annoying me!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Right in the middle of browsing and making a wishlist, every single thing I do now gives a similar error message. From the way they make it sound the problem is on my end, which it obviously is not.

"The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.

Your support ID is: 8735984517395042384"

Pressing F5 increases the number quite a bit. I suspect a DOS attack is in progress.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:59 AM

I have two 20% coupons. THey will come in handy with this sale!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:17 PM

If I get a B&N membership now, how much extra can I save on this sale? What are my options?
Old 07-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
If I get a B&N membership now, how much extra can I save on this sale? What are my options?
As far as I know, you save 10% off the final price... unless you want to buy a ton of titles the membership will not be offset.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
As far as I know, you save 10% off the final price... unless you want to buy a ton of titles the membership will not be offset.
What about extra coupons that members can use? Or are those only available to those who are already members?

Seems to me I always read about people using the membership and coupons to reduce the price of a regularly priced Criterion to around $10, or something like that.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
What about extra coupons that members can use? Or are those only available to those who are already members?

Seems to me I always read about people using the membership and coupons to reduce the price of a regularly priced Criterion to around $10, or something like that.
The coupons are usually mailed to me. Sometimes I get emails with 15% off, but the mailers usually always have 2 20% off any items, even sale items
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Krawk, did you write the original post? Good work. Hilarious.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
Krawk, did you write the original post? Good work. Hilarious.
You get a star - doubt anyone else bothered reading beyond the first few lines :frown:
Old 07-11-2015, 01:32 PM

Hey! Don't use those two 20% off coupons just yet! I went the other day and while I was looking at the coupon I noticed that they made a printing error on the back. On the front it says 20% off one item. However, on the back it says 25% off one item. This means they have to honor the 25% off thats printed on the back instead since it's the bigger discount. I showed my cashier this and ended up getting three criterion blu-rays for less than $45.