UPCOMING Sale on Amazon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default UPCOMING Sale on Amazon

Saw this mentioned in more than one place.
Expect to bleed your bank accounts and charge those credit cards.
On July 12th Amazon is going to have a larger than Black Friday type of sale as it will be their 20th Anniversary.

Quote from reddit.com: (follow the conversation here!)

Hey friends. Friendly Amazonian here. The week of July 12th, Amazon is celebrating their 20th year of service! They're packing their warehouses to the brim this week and next week in anticipation of the sales they're going to have. I have no idea WHAT is going on sale, but I am 90% certain that it will benefit this subreddit. So, just a heads up! Hold off on pulling the trigger on something to see what they have in store. Cheers!

Edit: Since 25% of these comments are asking if this is US only, I'll just put this here. Nobody knows for certain, but it wouldn't make very much sense for it to be US only.

Edit #2: /u/daten-shi has confirmed that warehouses in the UK are also prepping for the sale.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Seeing emails from worldwide amazon locations about the 15th as being "Prime Day" - wonder what's in store for us then, or if this date of the 12th is in error. Or if the 12th is for the USA and the 15th every where else?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 PM

Hmm....not sure I can afford anymore sales right now. I took advantage of some 4th of July sales and now Barnes and Noble has the Criterion sale. Dang it.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:07 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesswookiee View Post
took advantage of some 4th of July sales and now Barnes and Noble has the Criterion sale. Dang it.
B&N has the sale going now? Have not heard anyone announce this. Is it 1st week online only, 2nd week in store?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Here's what Amazon.ca says about July 15 "Prime Day":

Prime Day is a one-day shopping event on July 15, 2015, with more deals than Black Friday. Prime members can shop exclusive deals from electronics, toys, video games, movies, clothing, patio, lawn and garden, sports and outdoor items and more.

Try Prime and get immediate access to deals on July 15.

So, this sale is for "Prime" members only. Apparently there is a 30 day FREE trial of Prime which you can sign up for to be able to be a part of this July 15th sale. Here's what Amazon.ca says about this:

After your free trial, Amazon Prime is just CDN$ 79.00/year (plus any applicable taxes).
Cancel anytime. *Quebec residents receive an initial 13-month membership instead of a free trial.

So, looks like I'll sign up on July 14th, then cancel it on July 16th. Sound about right?? So basically, $79 a year gets you FREE two day shipping (that is apparently the biggest perk of Prime). However, Free Super Saver Shipping gets my items shipped to me within two days ALL the time anyway. So really, what is the point of Prime?? Am I missing something here??
Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
B&N has the sale going now? Have not heard anyone announce this. Is it 1st week online only, 2nd week in store?
B&N sent me the email yesterday on the Criterion sale.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Here's what Amazon.ca says about July 15 "Prime Day":

[I]Prime Day is a one-day shopping event on July 15, 2015, with more deals than Black Friday. Prime members can shop exclusive deals from electronics, toys, video games, movies, clothing, patio, lawn and garden, sports and outdoor items and more.
Yep, as I mention a few messages up, all the worldwide affiliates have emailed me indicating that the 15th is Prime Day, but the USA one has remained mum about it. Because of different work ethics the USA one still may be on Saturday while the rest of the ethical world has it Tuesday. Either day I have to work anyway.

Quote:
So, looks like I'll sign up on July 14th, then cancel it on July 16th. Sound about right?? So basically, $79 a year gets you FREE two day shipping (that is apparently the biggest perk of Prime). However, Free Super Saver Shipping gets my items shipped to me within two days ALL the time anyway. So really, what is the point of Prime?? Am I missing something here??
They've now branched off to lower prices on certain products that the special prices are for prime members only. Amazon Instant Video access. Although a small selection of titles to choose from, right now I am watching NYPD Blue from the beginning. And if you order something and tell them that you're not in a hurry for it, they ship it standard instead and give you a $1 digital credit. These credits stack up for say digital rentals or digital album purchases.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So really, what is the point of Prime?? Am I missing something here??
An Amazon Prime subscription in the US includes access to a huge chunk of the Instant Video streaming catalog (which includes most original HBO series and films) and Prime Music, cloud storage, plus "free" 2-day shipping (and "free" 1-day shipping in select markets, on select products), exclusive deals (this so-called Prime Day is a first but discounts on individual products are common), and other perks.

Canadians, however, get a really shitty version of Amazon Prime without most of the above.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
If you don't have Prime you need to spend a minimum of $35 (US) for free shipping. With Prime, any item, regardless of price, ships free. You don't need to find something else to buy in order to qualify for free shipping. Plus you get a whole slew of free Prime movies.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Ah. I see now. Thanks for posting everyone. The US Prime seems pretty worth it then if you use Amazon quite often. The Canadian Amazon Prime...not so much :blackeye3: