Stupid Universal Digital Copy restrictions (on Tower Heist as an example) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 PM

Default Stupid Universal Digital Copy restrictions (on Tower Heist as an example)

Argh, I can see where Universal is going to wind up having to give me and the rest of a bunch of people in a class action lawsuit some stupid coupons over their latest stupidity....

I see that the package said Digital Copy and clearly noted iTunes + the dreaded and hated UltraViolet. Cool.

I open the package and go to redeem the code and it also gives me a choice of picking Amazon Instant Video. Oooooh, cool. Amazon Instant video. Movie from the Amazon cloud for a change. Very nice. Or so I think, until I click the redeem button and then get to where I can go to Amazon and use the credits that they gave me (which, uh, stupidly enough, seems to be available for any title I want, not just the one that I got the code from, which is kinda stupid. Consider that stupidity #1). When I try to use the credit for Tower Heist, THEN and only THEN, not before, when I had the option to choose iTunes format instead, the format I would normally pick if not for being lured into experimenting with something else for a chnage, well that's where I find out that the AMAZON copies will not be streamable or downloadable (apparently) after approx. 90 days from now (in June, 2012).

At that point I want to change my mind, but too late, I've already redeemed the stupid code from Amazon and can't go back to pick iTunes format instead.

Nice one Universal. Really nice.

I swear they make me want to boycott their stupid butts. I know they're part of the evil that is Comcrap now, but with this push for UltraViolet and stupid restrictions (limited time availability of digital copies high on the list) that they place on customers, they really make me want to just save my money and ignore them all around -- TV, movies, cable service, ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Former Member

Uni also screwed up on the American Pie DC's. paper slips for 1 and 2, disc based (and the disc in a paper sleeve slopped in the case) for 3.

what you're describing is much worse, though, not advertising that the amazon one has a time limit so short on it. by giving you MORE options, where you can essentially see another new film for free instead, you get docked.

that's why i don't ever redeem the things, through them in a pile, and once a year get 20 bucks for 'em.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
that's why i don't ever redeem the things, through them in a pile, and once a year get 20 bucks for 'em.
Let me know when you're ready to sell them.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:54 AM

lol chris you beat me to it lol - but nate i would say make it less than once a year - some of the warner expirations are very quick of late - asses.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 AM

What kind of company thinks the ability to stream/download something for a 3-month period is sellable and marketable? People should be fired for this kind of thinking, fired.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveforbluray View Post
What kind of company thinks the ability to stream/download something for a 3-month period is sellable and marketable? People should be fired for this kind of thinking, fired.
their mentality is to try and get people to get into the whole "must buy it as soon as possible on release day or I won't be able to get the full edition with slip and digital copy!!!!!". basically trying to entice as many people as possible into buying and using IMMEDIATELY (to help their sales numbers since release week is 90% of their sales for a movie)