Slasher Lightning Deal - 10 PST - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Slasher Lightning Deal - 10 PST

Amazon Lightning Deal, starting at 10 PST, going to 2:

Quote:
All your favorite slasher horror titles in one great bundle on Blu.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM

These four movies (Hatchet, Red Mist, Behind the Mask, and Monster Slayer)for a whopping $78.49! Thanks but no thanks..

Other than Hatchet, I've never even heard of these movies. Are they any good? They better be for $20 a piece...
Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Actually, only $37 ... haven't seen any of them, so can't comment on their quality. I think I'll pass regardless.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Red Mist is decent. Haven't seen the other ones, but I got Red Mist for $7 a while back at Best Buy...this isn't such a great deal.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Former Member

i've seen them all

Red Mist is about 2.5/3/5 range. quality but not great
Behind the Mask is 3.5/4/5 range, actually pretty good
Hatchet is a 4/5
Jack Brooks Monster Slayer would only earn a 2/5 in my book.

a few of these discs are shit Anchor Bay discs that have no menus, no extras, no lossless audio, no audio or subtitle options, NOTHING.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:59 PM

I'll just give my two cents on each of these titles. I think $37 is a good price for these four films, because I feel they're all easily worth at least $10. Keep in mind though, these opinions come from a fan of horror films, so the mileage may vary on the opinion of these movies:

Red Mist is decent. Its definitely the best of the $7 Anchor Bay titles that were at Best Buy a while back. It starts off looking like it will be stupid, but then it gets pretty good. This is mostly worth watching though, if you're into the hot older sister from "The Uninvited." 3 out of 5

Hatchet is a take on 80s slasher flicks, like Friday the 13th, only that its set in the Louisiana bayou. It has its fair share of gory moments, with some nice kills. Overall its GOOD, but not great. This is more for fans of stuff like the first "Wrong Turn" movie. There are some good cameos from Robert Englund and Tony Todd in this as well. 3.5 out of 5

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon is a fantastic movie. It could possibly attain some sort of cult classic status as the years go on. Its basically a "mockumentary" about a guy who wants to be a serial killer like Jason Vorhees. The documentary camera crew follows him along as he goes through the motions of training to be a killer like Jason. It retreads some of the post-modern deconstructionism of the horror genre, that Scream brought to the table, but then it adds in its own nice little twists; and it has a third act revelation that makes the movie even better. This title is a must own for any fan of horror/slasher movies. The Amazon deal is worth it for this movie alone. 4.5 out of 5

Jack Brooks Monster slayer is a low budget horror comedy in the vein of something like Evil Dead. The makers of this film want Jack Brooks to be an anti-hero on the level of Ash from Evil Dead. The execution of this film doesn't live up to what the film makers were going for, but its still a fun movie nonetheless. Lots of nice 80s style practical horror/blood effects, and a nice dose of humor make this film fun to watch. It also sets itself up nicely for the sequel that is in production. Robert Englund gives a really good supporting role in this (note: Its NOT a cameo...its an actual supporting role). 4 out of 5

EDIT - Its also worth noting what Nate said about these discs. I believe Red Mist and Jack Brooks don't even have a menu screen. I can't remember if Behind the Mask: The Rise Leslie Vernon has one or not, I'm leaning towards "no" on that one as well. I think the only one that has a menu is "Hatchet" and that is because it's definitely the most high profile of the movies in that bunch.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM

I don't know why, but for the first few minutes it showed up as 78.49. I even went back and checked before I posted as I had it up in another window on my computer. Oh well, still not interested but for those who like these movies it seems like a pretty good deal. I don't care much for extras and special menus, although they are appreciated.