Book Of Eli - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Book Of Eli

Not sure if many of you folks have Fred Meyers around you or not. If you do however, there is a pretty decent deal of Book of Eli. They have it advertised for $26.99 but in the ad this week there is a 20% off coupon. So it makes it $21.50 (assuming I can accurately do math). I know its not sub 20 bucks, but it is a fantastic movie, and worth the price. Only three dollars more than you would pay for the DVD version.

Hope this helps somebody enjoy!!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Yeah... I was hoping to find more deals on this on I shelled out $24.99 at target and I'm just waiting for a good price match to pop up
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM

The more people that avoid buying it at $20+, the sooner it will fall below $20.

Seriously.... if EVERY Blu-ray owner boycotted EVERY title over $20 (but bought up a crapload of the titles under $20), I think the studios would get the message real fast.

Mark
Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Picked up my copy from Ultimate Electronics for $19.95. Unfortunately they don't seem to have near the market penetration as Best Buy, but if you have one in your area it's the best price I've seen anywhere.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM

I got it for $15 at Ultimate because the week before this one they handed out $5 off any Blu Ray purchase coupons.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM

I have never paid more than $20 for a single Blu Ray. I am still blown away by those shopping at Best Buy, Target, etc., when Amazon, DD, iNetVideo and others exist. I own over 300 Blu-Rays and according to my DVD catalog software the average price paid on NON-BOX SET BluRay is less than $15. If you can just wait a few weeks after and sometimes longer, you can most likely get anything between $12-$16. Take advantage of big sales and Buy more Save more deals and you are golden. All I do is monitor this site daily and put every movie I would ever buy in my amazon cart to watch prices drop. Easy formula to follow for massive savings and build a nice collection.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accamando View Post
I have never paid more than $20 for a single Blu Ray. I am still blown away by those shopping at Best Buy, Target, etc., when Amazon, DD, iNetVideo and others exist. I own over 300 Blu-Rays and according to my DVD catalog software the average price paid on NON-BOX SET BluRay is less than $15. If you can just wait a few weeks after and sometimes longer, you can most likely get anything between $12-$16. Take advantage of big sales and Buy more Save more deals and you are golden. All I do is monitor this site daily and put every movie I would ever buy in my amazon cart to watch prices drop. Easy formula to follow for massive savings and build a nice collection.
I do the exact same thing. I have a mom and pop shop (pawn shop) that I got a lot of my titles from over the years. I refuse to go higher then $20 and my average is about the same as yours.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 PM

I don't know how studios decide these sale prices. It seems like some new movies hit Tuesday costing 19.99, while others, like Book of Eli, hit costing 24.99 at the lowest.

I just don't get what determines these first week prices.

It seems like theres some guy with a dart board, just handing sale prices out willy nilly.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM

There doesn't seem to be much price dealing on Book of Eli as a new release as there was on recently released titles like Shutter Island and Sherlock Holmes. Those could both be had for under $20 within their first week at places like Fry's and BB. Of course I have not yet seen BB's ad for this Sunday.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
There doesn't seem to be much price dealing on Book of Eli as a new release as there was on recently released titles like Shutter Island and Sherlock Holmes. Those could both be had for under $20 within their first week at places like Fry's and BB. Of course I have not yet seen BB's ad for this Sunday.
For Shutter Island, what you say is true. But not true for Sherlock Holmes. It was released on May 30 and it didn't drop below $20 (on a national basis) until a week ago.

DEAR STUDIOS: I really want to see 'The Book of Eli' again! But there's no way in hell I'm paying more than $20 for it. Now, if it was priced at $19.99 right now, I'd have already purchased it. But, instead, I'll probably have to rent it first if I want to see it sooner vs. later. And whatever I spend to rent it is coming directly out of the price I'm willing to pay to buy it. If the rental costs me $5, then I'm waiting until the Blu is $14.99 before I buy it.

My patience is infinite. If I never own it, so be it.

Mark