Barnes & Noble memberhsip-now free express shipping-removal of online discounts - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Barnes & Noble memberhsip-now free express shipping-removal of online discounts

Effective today, April 30, 2010, Barnes & Noble made significant changes to their $25/year membership program as it relates to their website. Now members get free 1-3 day express shipping on all orders with no minimum. Similar to Amazon Prime without the large Amazon selection.

But they also took away their 10% discount that applies to DVDs and Blu-Rays. Often with the member discount and a coupon (they love to send coupons) I could get Blu-Rays for a better deal than anywhere else online (although mostly concert Blu-Rays like Madonna's Sticky & Sweet tour). (I verified these changes with a call to customer service.)

They claim they've lowered their prices to be more competitive and everyone gets the online price - but it looks to me like the "lowered" prices are either the same or slightly higher than the former member price?

Anyone else taken a good look at this change for members?