High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/ultra-hd-blu-ray-bargains-20/)
-   -   Panasonic TC-42PX14 Plasma 720p $499 at Costco (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/ultra-hd-blu-ray-bargains/102300-panasonic-tc-42px14-plasma-720p-%24499-costco.html)

ack_bak 04-03-2010 05:44 PM

Panasonic TC-42PX14 Plasma 720p $499 at Costco

Was shopping for a new HDTV for our family room (this is used 90%+ by the kids) at Costco and they had the Panasonic TC-42PX14 (720p) for $499 on a clearance sale. There were 3 left at my store and I grabbed one. After some initial calibration, will callibrate the TV again after 200 hours or so, I am very impressed with the PQ. HD cable looks good, and Blu-Ray looks solid as well. And since it was purchased at Costco, you get a 2 year manufacturers warranty vs 1 year (if you use your Costco AMEX card, you get 36 months of warranty coverage).

I had been eyeing several LCD's in the $700-900 range but could not pass up on this deal, especially since it almost exclusively used by the kids (mommy and daddy use the PJ).

punisher 04-04-2010 09:05 AM

and 90 day return policy..not that you will need it ..great price for a Panny plasma..even at 720p..it's a great set...enjoy!!

vinnie97 04-04-2010 12:43 PM

Good on you...hopefully, that rising black level phenomenon won't be a concern in your usage.

ack_bak 04-04-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie97 (Post 1889111)
Good on you...hopefully, that rising black level phenomenon won't be a concern in your usage.

Yeah, the rising black levels is a concern but:
- Even with the rising black levels the PQ should still be on par with Samsung, LG, etc plasmas, and better than an Insignia or cheaper branded plasma.
- This is for the kids. I watch occasional movies with them and some sporting events in the background when I am working in the kitchen. Everything else is viewed on a 1080p projector on a much bigger screen.

If this was going to be my primary HDTV, I would have probably not purchased it. But it is not. For the price, you cannot beat the performance, and I expect this HDTV will eventually be moved to our bedroom and I will update the livingroom TV to something better in 3+ years. I liked the look of some of the LED models I looked at, but could not justify paying $1K+ more. In a few years a 46" LED with better PQ will most likely be well under $800.

vinnie97 04-04-2010 02:29 PM

Maybe on the LED front, but there are still PQ concerns they possess that won't have me updating to anything other than OLED (from a Kuro) until and if they're addressed.

ack_bak 04-04-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie97 (Post 1889186)
Maybe on the LED front, but there are still PQ concerns they possess that won't have me updating to anything other than OLED (from a Kuro) until and if they're addressed.

Vinny, no doubt the Kuro still stands tall and proud. I am a PJ guy for my main viewing, so I am not really that concerned about the some of the minor issues that plague today's plasmas and LCD/LED's. I like the idea of the footprint of an LED in the livingroom for casual viewing and used mostly by the kids. I think this Panny will tide me over for a good 3+ years until technology evolves and prices drop. I suspect in 3-5 years plasma will pretty much be gone. Which is really too bad, as I really prefer the PQ of a plasma.

comixguru 04-04-2010 04:14 PM

These Panasonic Plasmas make SD content look great... on top of being great with HD stuff. I have a 42" 1080P Panasonic Plasma, but the only reason I purchased this one was because it was within $50 of the 720p one, and it came with a free BR player.

Costco's 2 year extended warranty and Panasonic's in-home Concierge service are a nice bonus combo.

ack_bak 04-04-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comixguru (Post 1889235)
These Panasonic Plasmas make SD content look great... on top of being great with HD stuff. I have a 42" 1080P Panasonic Plasma, but the only reason I purchased this one was because it was within $50 of the 720p one, and it came with a free BR player.

Costco's 2 year extended warranty and Panasonic's in-home Concierge service are a nice bonus combo.

Yes, SD content looks much better on the plasma than it does vs the LCD that it replaced. I would have grabbed a 1080p too if the price difference was close enough, but this model was the only plasma model in the whole warehouse, and was on that great clearance sale (I am starting to wonder if Costco will even sell any plasma models going forward). And since it is mostly for the kids, I was not very worried about 1080p as most of their TV viewing is Disney Channel anyway which is not 1080p. Blu-Ray looks great, and the TV accepts a 1080p/24 signal over HDMI.

People often put too much emphasis on resolution and ignore things like black levels, color accuracy, etc. Sporting events/fast motion look very good on this model vs my LCD.

vinnie97 04-05-2010 02:17 PM

Yes, it's a sad thing...with Panasonic being the last major seriously interested/invested party in Plasma, I'm worried it might be gone within that time frame also. What hurts even more is the infinite black prototype that Pioneer had on display @ CES 2008. If I could get into a house, PJ might be something I more seriously look into.