4K sale at Best Buy - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 PM
aaronwt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,342
Default

I got in on this Bestbuy deal and ordered seven more UHD titles. The only issue is that Assassin's Creed is the Steelbook. And I hate steelbooks. Is there anywhere to purchase some UHD BD cases so I can trash the steelbook case?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
thanks for the heads up, I picked up suicide squad today. I have never purchased a steelbook b4 today I gotta say I am impressed much more so than a standard case. how many studios actually make steelbooks and are they roughly the same cost as regular packaging?
You will want to handle them with kid gloves! Honestly I use the bags from Meritline for the ones that I open to keep them clean and dust free. See the Steelbook threads for the order number. I handle them by the edges only and usually with Kleenex so I don't get finger oils all over them. If possible I probably would have a pair of cotton gloves on-much like they do if you go to a framing store and they unroll the poster you brought in for framing.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
You will want to handle them with kid gloves! Honestly I use the bags from Meritline for the ones that I open to keep them clean and dust free. See the Steelbook threads for the order number. I handle them by the edges only and usually with Kleenex so I don't get finger oils all over them. If possible I probably would have a pair of cotton gloves on-much like they do if you go to a framing store and they unroll the poster you brought in for framing.
You're kidding, right? The details you gave suggest this
is true. You don't even touch them?! Okay, okay, okay,
you got me. I fell for it. You're joking, yes?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got in on this Bestbuy deal and ordered seven more UHD titles. The only issue is that Assassin's Creed is the Steelbook. And I hate steelbooks. Is there anywhere to purchase some UHD BD cases so I can trash the steelbook case?
They do sell the regular, non-Steelbook UHD version
of Assassin's Creed.

Ha, ha. You'll throw out the Steelbook cases, and
Krawk will wear cotton gloves to pick them out of
the trash. Too funny.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 AM
aaronwt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
They do sell the regular, non-Steelbook UHD version
of Assassin's Creed.

..........
I didn't realize it was the steelbook until after I placed my order. And they were out of stock locally. Otherwise I would have price matched the normal version at the store.

But with the sale, while I was placing my order online, all the titles went out of stock at the two BestBuy stores I typically use for in store pickup. So it kept screwing up my checkout. And I had to change everything to shipping to finally get the order to go through.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
You're kidding, right? The details you gave suggest this
is true. You don't even touch them?! Okay, okay, okay,
you got me. I fell for it. You're joking, yes?
Finger oils are very corrosive over time so no I do not touch steelbooks with my bare hands. Depending on what was on your hands at the time or your general body PH at the time, your fingerprint itself could etch permanently into the cover art, no joke!
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 AM
cupboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got in on this Bestbuy deal and ordered seven more UHD titles. The only issue is that Assassin's Creed is the Steelbook. And I hate steelbooks. Is there anywhere to purchase some UHD BD cases so I can trash the steelbook case?
What would you do about artwork. Cut it out of the steel and then slip it into the UHD BD case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Finger oils are very corrosive over time so no I do not touch steelbooks with my bare hands. Depending on what was on your hands at the time or your general body PH at the time, your fingerprint itself could etch permanently into the cover art, no joke!
I've seen this problem on used stereo equipment. Permanent finger prints.

Last edited by cupboy; 03-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Krawk's Avatar
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
I've seen this problem on used stereo equipment. Permanent finger prints.
Would that stereo be the kind with the wooden cabinet? Fingerprints bleach the wood over time.

Also have seen fingerprints etched into slip covers on used movies. So, I keep a microfiber cloth handy for that too. I handle the slip cover from the spine sides and then when I'm done I wipe away the fingerprints. I know it sounds anal but longevity is the goal and I've seen what happens if you're careless.

Back to the steelbook issue - I've seen fingerprints etched in sucrets (throat lozenge) tins from years ago. Same kind of metal. Glossy print will not absolutely protect it.
__________________
Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Select Best Buy exclusive steel book blu rays $9.99 @ Best Buy wwtdd? Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 0 12-27-2012 10:43 PM
Check This Out: Eighty People dress up as Best Buy employees and go inside a Best Buy HamsterDance The Water Cooler 17 10-02-2008 09:11 AM
Best Buy Launches Best Buy Express Ben High Definition Smackdown 0 08-11-2008 02:42 PM
HD DVD / Best Buy Reminder - A Note to Best Buy American Gangster and Beowulf Owners gijoela HD DVD Software General Discussion 2 03-11-2008 04:14 AM
Best Buy This Week - HD DVD Buy Three, Get Two : Blu Ray Sale - Ads for 12/30/07 Marketingguru High Definition Smackdown 18 12-30-2007 09:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off