4K sale at Best Buy - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 PM

I got in on this Bestbuy deal and ordered seven more UHD titles. The only issue is that Assassin's Creed is the Steelbook. And I hate steelbooks. Is there anywhere to purchase some UHD BD cases so I can trash the steelbook case?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
thanks for the heads up, I picked up suicide squad today. I have never purchased a steelbook b4 today I gotta say I am impressed much more so than a standard case. how many studios actually make steelbooks and are they roughly the same cost as regular packaging?
You will want to handle them with kid gloves! Honestly I use the bags from Meritline for the ones that I open to keep them clean and dust free. See the Steelbook threads for the order number. I handle them by the edges only and usually with Kleenex so I don't get finger oils all over them. If possible I probably would have a pair of cotton gloves on-much like they do if you go to a framing store and they unroll the poster you brought in for framing.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
You will want to handle them with kid gloves! Honestly I use the bags from Meritline for the ones that I open to keep them clean and dust free. See the Steelbook threads for the order number. I handle them by the edges only and usually with Kleenex so I don't get finger oils all over them. If possible I probably would have a pair of cotton gloves on-much like they do if you go to a framing store and they unroll the poster you brought in for framing.
You're kidding, right? The details you gave suggest this
is true. You don't even touch them?! Okay, okay, okay,
you got me. I fell for it. You're joking, yes?
Old 03-22-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I got in on this Bestbuy deal and ordered seven more UHD titles. The only issue is that Assassin's Creed is the Steelbook. And I hate steelbooks. Is there anywhere to purchase some UHD BD cases so I can trash the steelbook case?
They do sell the regular, non-Steelbook UHD version
of Assassin's Creed.

Ha, ha. You'll throw out the Steelbook cases, and
Krawk will wear cotton gloves to pick them out of
the trash. Too funny.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
They do sell the regular, non-Steelbook UHD version
of Assassin's Creed.

I didn't realize it was the steelbook until after I placed my order. And they were out of stock locally. Otherwise I would have price matched the normal version at the store.

But with the sale, while I was placing my order online, all the titles went out of stock at the two BestBuy stores I typically use for in store pickup. So it kept screwing up my checkout. And I had to change everything to shipping to finally get the order to go through.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
You're kidding, right? The details you gave suggest this
is true. You don't even touch them?! Okay, okay, okay,
you got me. I fell for it. You're joking, yes?
Finger oils are very corrosive over time so no I do not touch steelbooks with my bare hands. Depending on what was on your hands at the time or your general body PH at the time, your fingerprint itself could etch permanently into the cover art, no joke!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What would you do about artwork. Cut it out of the steel and then slip it into the UHD BD case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Finger oils are very corrosive over time so no I do not touch steelbooks with my bare hands. Depending on what was on your hands at the time or your general body PH at the time, your fingerprint itself could etch permanently into the cover art, no joke!
I've seen this problem on used stereo equipment. Permanent finger prints.

Last edited by cupboy; 03-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
I've seen this problem on used stereo equipment. Permanent finger prints.
Would that stereo be the kind with the wooden cabinet? Fingerprints bleach the wood over time.

Also have seen fingerprints etched into slip covers on used movies. So, I keep a microfiber cloth handy for that too. I handle the slip cover from the spine sides and then when I'm done I wipe away the fingerprints. I know it sounds anal but longevity is the goal and I've seen what happens if you're careless.

Back to the steelbook issue - I've seen fingerprints etched in sucrets (throat lozenge) tins from years ago. Same kind of metal. Glossy print will not absolutely protect it.