Default Denon & Marantz Expand IMAX Enhanced Firmware Update to More Receivers

IMAX Enhanced support is now available on more AV components.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...eceivers/43551
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

Read a few articles on the blog here and ultimately still wondering what the hell it really does. Does it essentially the equivalent to a "loudness" button or something?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Read a few articles on the blog here and ultimately still wondering what the hell it really does. Does it essentially the equivalent to a "loudness" button or something?
    It's akin to the Church Hall or Rock Stadium DSP modes on a receiver. It boosts the bass and applies some other signal processing to the soundtrack encoded on the disc.

What isn't clear is whether it's simply goosing the soundtrack beyond the actual intent of the sound mixers, or if it's restoring these IMAX soundtracks to what they were always supposed to sound like (which would mean that the version encoded on the disc is intentionally gimped and that 99% of viewers will hear an inferior version). Neither option is particularly desirable, IMO.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.