Laserdiscs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Question Laserdiscs

Kinda putting out a feeler here, but I have been surprised at the lack of Laserdisc discussions. Is anyone here still using the format?

*edit* I didn't think about this forum listing as other "Hi Def" formats, if this should be moved to theater gear I apologize.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Loving laserdisc!

I have a CLD-D704 in my theater, a Pioneer CLD-D504 in my family room and a Pioneer CLD-M301 in my bedroom. I also have a Pioneer CLD-S201 and a Sony MDP-333 in storage. I have around 125 LD's and love them. I have numerous films on LD that may not be released digitally for sometime if at all.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:58 PM

wow-I haven't used them to that extent in years, but was going through the movies I still own and remembering the first time we loaded Stargate up with a surround system and had to run for the volume before everything shook off of shelves..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 PM

I have the Pioneer CLD-990...it's solid but nothing terribly high end. There actually was such a thing as a high definition laserdisc. Hi-Vision gained some traction in Japan before the current high def protocols.

I actually hadn't realized that the video portion of Laserdiscs wasn't even digital until fairly recently. Although it makes sense.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:42 PM

I've been wanting to get into LD for some time now.

I'd like to come across a player that features component packaged with a good number of titles.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 PM

I have a bunch of discs but my sony player kept breaking down so i tossed it.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I've been wanting to get into LD for some time now.

I'd like to come across a player that features component packaged with a good number of titles.
Err...I wouldn't bother. It's probably more trouble than it's worth. Especially if you have an HDTV...the discs aren't anamorphic (okay there's like 2 in Asia). Finding titles in pristine condition isn't easy...It's a pain.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:46 AM

My Pioneer player has become more trouble than it's worth (it was not a higher end unit to say the least). I have a small collection of titles that are in excellent shape with very little play time on them I would part with for very reasonable $ if someone can enjoy them. This was not the purpose of my post (a moment of nostalgia was), but if any of you guys are interested pm me.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Daybreaker, do you hae any experience with the Hi-Vision? I had forgotten all about it. My only experience was a demo in a high end electronics store some time ago. I tried to check the format out better at the time but never jumped in as it seemed like support never came to fruition.....
Old 09-19-2008, 02:04 PM

I have the Godfather Epic chronologically re-edited into a 10 1/2 hour movie and the THX and Special Edition Star Wars Trilogies that will most likely never be released again digitally (other than the non-anamorphic bonus version on the last DVD's that is from the LD source anyways).

The THX WOW disc is also a must have title.