High Resolution Audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM

Default High Resolution Audio

Hello. I've recently gotten into downloading (legally) high resolution audio files. Was just wondering if anyone else has gotten into this and where you get your material? What file formats are you using? I just ordered the new Sony HAP-S1 high resolution audio player as I like the idea of a component that can store all my music files (including all high-res formats) and also claims to up convert existing lossy files (to a certain extent). Haven't received that unit yet, but I may do a little mini-review in the home theater section once I've played around with it.

I've been getting most of my files from HDtracks.com. Unfortunately though the selection skews towards stuff for older folks, hoping it may catch on and there be more mainstream, newer stuff to choose from. So, anyone know any other web sites I should be looking at?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Hello. I've recently gotten into downloading (legally) high resolution audio files. Was just wondering if anyone else has gotten into this and where you get your material? What file formats are you using? I just ordered the new Sony HAP-S1 high resolution audio player as I like the idea of a component that can store all my music files (including all high-res formats) and also claims to up convert existing lossy files (to a certain extent). Haven't received that unit yet, but I may do a little mini-review in the home theater section once I've played around with it.

I've been getting most of my files from HDtracks.com. Unfortunately though the selection skews towards stuff for older folks, hoping it may catch on and there be more mainstream, newer stuff to choose from. So, anyone know any other web sites I should be looking at?
How high a resolution? 24/192? 24/96?

I am in two minds about high resolution audio files. It's always good to have a high quality audio file as close to the original master as possible, but at the same time, I don't think that most hardware on the market is capable of doing all that data justice. If disc space is no object, then I suppose it doesn't matter.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Always 24 bit. This new unit I mentioned will also play DSD files without converting them to PCM. I'm anxious to hear that, but again, the issue is a lack of content.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Always 24 bit. This new unit I mentioned will also play DSD files without converting them to PCM. I'm anxious to hear that, but again, the issue is a lack of content.
Yeah, I reckon the lack of content is down to a hardware issue. They can make video improve by increasing the resolution, but to get hardware that will do justice to high resolution audio would cost too much.

The hardware does exist, but the cost is too high for it to go mainstream. CD audio is enough for most people.