Anyone still using D-VHS? Have a weird player problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Default Anyone still using D-VHS? Have a weird player problem

Mostly a cut-and-paste of my post on Home Theater Forum a few days ago, which got no replies:

Last year I got a JVC HM-DH30000U and a few D-Theater tapes from an Ebay seller, that machine works great but cannot output the DTS audio tracks that are on some tapes, so I kept looking for another machine that did. Later I got a 40000 model, which does output DTS but has a strange problem with the picture that makes it jagged-looking. I'll put up an explanation later- I ended up keeping that machine but kept looking and just got a Marantz (the only non-JVC D-Theater deck I know of.) It's actually a clone of the 40000, and when I got it a couple days ago it would not play any D-VHS tapes at all, the screen would stay black at 480i with no sound output. After running it for a couple hours anyway, it now works but has the SAME picture problem as the 40000. I'll try to illustrate it as follows- suppose the dashes represent lines that make up the picture, here is how a section of the picture would look normally:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Notice that they're lined up perfectly here.
Now, here is how the same part of the picture looks on these 2 machines:
(Ignore the underlines I put in front of the 3rd line, just putting spaces there caused it to not be shifted when posted)

__- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Every few lines, in a uniform pattern, are shifted slightly to the side, making letters and anything else perfectly vertical in the picture look jagged. My TV also is set for no overscan and many movies are transferred with a bit of black space at one or both sides, it's apparent there too. The 30000 player doesn't do this, its picture is beautiful and is quite amazing they were able to do this with VHS tape. (I'm a geek who collects dead/obsolete formats, so this was a must-have.)

Has anyone else had the same problem? This couldn't possibly be an inherent problem with this model sold under TWO different brands and those who bought them at an original cost of over $1000 didn't notice? I will have to send the Marantz back to the seller while I still can if there's no fix for this, and if this is a problem with most or all of these players I'll just have to forget about getting DTS.

I'm using the component video output on the players as the only other option is iLink and nothing I have supports that.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

I am still using D-VHS but only with tapes I recorded, I sold any DTheater tapes I owned long ago. I don't have any isues at all, other than dropouts which are rare but I expect to see a minor glitch or two each movie. My primary VCR is the JVC HM-DH5U with HDMI output. I also have the JVC HM-DH30000U, DH-40000U and two different Mitsubishi D-VHS VCRs, HS-HD1100U and HS-HD2000U.

AVSForums had the best information and the most users years ago when people used these machines more frequently. I will continue to use mine only because I have so many tapes and VCRs but sure couldn't recommend anybody get involved now.

Adjusting tracking is the only suggestion I have for the issues you describe.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 PM

If you are going through an amp as a video switcher, try connecting the component directly to the TV.

Also, I'm curious if your HD recordings have the same problem when playing back or if it is only D-VHS tapes.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM

I tried hooking the component output directly to the TV, and the problem is still there on these 2 machines (though I've already sent back the Marantz.) Again, the picture on the 30000 is great and does not have even a trace of this problem, but it won't play the DTS tracks.

I don't have any HD tapes recorded myself, but I do have a few unencrypted D-VHS tapes sold by HDNet (travel videos like "Over Ireland") which were recorded on standard blank tapes and those have the same problem. The VCR's on-screen display also has the same problem when it is turned on when playing any HD tape, but not on standard VHS (the resolution may be too low to show that problem if it's still there.)

There does not seem to be any way to adjust tracking during D-VHS playback either- I have seen some glitches during tapes with some damage or dropouts and it's always a momentary freezing or pixelization like bad digital TV reception, never something continuous like this.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd try hooking up to a different TV.

Also try making a recording and see what happens in playback. If you don't have any blank DVHS tapes you can use a SVHS tape.

Chris is right, AVSforums has a lot more DVHS activity so you should ask there too.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
I tried hooking the component output directly to the TV, and the problem is still there on these 2 machines (though I've already sent back the Marantz.) Again, the picture on the 30000 is great and does not have even a trace of this problem, but it won't play the DTS tracks.

I don't have any HD tapes recorded myself, but I do have a few unencrypted D-VHS tapes sold by HDNet (travel videos like "Over Ireland") which were recorded on standard blank tapes and those have the same problem. The VCR's on-screen display also has the same problem when it is turned on when playing any HD tape, but not on standard VHS (the resolution may be too low to show that problem if it's still there.)

There does not seem to be any way to adjust tracking during D-VHS playback either- I have seen some glitches during tapes with some damage or dropouts and it's always a momentary freezing or pixelization like bad digital TV reception, never something continuous like this.
Tracking is done by holding the channel up or down button during playback on most D-VHS VCRs if I recall correctly but the specific method for your VCR should be described in the owner's manual.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM

So did you find a fix?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM

No- I'll have to bring it to a friend's house or something since I only have one HDTV and don't know if it'll reproduce this problem on any others. I did see one other comment about this problem on another board, I'm thinking maybe all of these models had problems with the component outputs but the iLink outputs worked OK? I don't know how long iLink hasn't been supported or how common it was when these VCRs were new, my friend has a Pioneer DVD player and receiver that have them but nothing that I have does (I have a Pioneer receiver bought about 2 years ago, which has HDMI but no iLink.) There does not seem to be any adaptor that I could use from the VCR's iLink output that would connect it to HDMI or component video either. I know there was one D-VHS machine with an HDMI output but it seems harder to find than the ones I have. (My 30000 model still looks great BTW, just picked up a few more movies for it.)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Still a user

Hi, I know I am a few months late to the thread, but I will chime in. I have 2 JVC 40000 units and use both on pre-recorded DVHS and my recorded HD and SD DTV from off the air broadcasts via firewire from my Samsung SIR-T165. Though when I play them to my TV, I use the component outputs. No lines that I have seen show up in my pictures.

I still love this format. I don't have recordable Blu-ray yet, but even if I did it doesn't seem nearly as user friendly or as cheap as tape is. I don't do random access much, so I don't see the need for Blu-ray for my needs. The slow blu-ray loading times are really annoying to me. I start a movie/program and I watch it, possibly pausing it only.

I too love obsolete formats. I love my laserdiscs and LPs.