Finally! Blockbuster in Canada is closing stores! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Thumbs up Finally! Blockbuster in Canada is closing stores!

Just like it says in the title!

By October 1st! ...We'll know more on September 7th.

I am very happy! I hate Blockbuster with an extremely deep passion!
Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM

This also means thousands of Canadians are losing their jobs.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:06 PM

It's also under new ownership.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Other and better jobs will be created. The jobs at Blockbuster suck!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Iíve never understood this hate for Blockbuster.

Sure they killed off the Mom & Pop video stores, but itís only right, thatís the American way. The prices were a bit rough, late fees and what not, but that rewards thing they had going was great. Rent 1 new, get 1 old free, brilliant!

Now that Blockbuster is dead, itís the end of an era.

No more video stores, what will we do now Bob? What will we do?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Former Member

...this isn't cool.

i hate best buy with the fabric of my being. i think anyone under the geek squad banner is a fucking financial rapist scumbag pile of shit who deserves to have his or her reproductive organs mutilated to the point of non-function. i think they are the worst company in america bar none when it comes to customer service. (i'm going somewhere with this, i promise. i know this is about blockbuster...)

but in this fucked economy, where there ARE no other jobs to go to, this isn't cool. celebrating the loss of jobs is horrible. new jobs aren't being created. more and more jobs are being lost. this isn't something to celebrate, no matter how defunct, crooked, or ridiculous a company may be. if i read right this is about 250 stores. so 3 employees at a time, times 16 hours (2 shifts), plus rotating days, we're talking 1,200 to 1,900 employees, give or take some, fucking jobless, flooding an already fucked job market, where there are thousands of applicants for a SINGLE fucking job in some instances.

that's like celebrating 9/11 because now lines in New York to get a hotdog will be shorter. i would say lines for airfare, but TSA, terrorist organization that they are, yeah, you know... this is no different. it's celebrating the misfortune of others for selfish gain.

huge thumbs down. not only is this one less choice, one less competitor to other stores to keep prices fair, and one less option to rent optical disc, this is a ton of jobs lost, a ton more competition for any job that does come up, a burden on the government (assuming canadia has a welfare system, instead of just a bunch of mooses and hockey), and a crushing blow to the egos and senses of self worth for a good amount of people. people who had memories at the stores, the loyal customers.

in this economy where people are losing their homes daily, celebrating more people possibly losing what they've worked their entire lives for if they can't rebound is lex luthor level evil. i'm as cold hearted as they come, mind you, but i know how important a paying job and something to do every day is to the majority of us. it's the ends to our means. it helps give us purpose.

fucking shame. this thread AND what happened. a fucking shame. who is to say the jobs suck? they're entry level jobs, so people can get experience working in retail, with customers, showing up on time, putting in their hours, being a productive member of society even if they aren't curing cancer. they're helping people take a load off. that's like saying mcdonalds is a shit job, good if they all closed. no, because not everyone is going to grow up to be a doctor or a fucking lawyer like the schools teach you, some people grow up to work a food line. not everyone is suited for greatness, and some people may be happy in a position where they feel they're helping people, meet people, make friendships with coworkers (MANY blockbusters are BEYOND social in terms of coworker relations), so on.