External Hard Drive DVR - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Default External Hard Drive DVR

I have a Directv HDDVR and I am looking to purchase an external hard drive for it because I always run out of space and wouldn't mind archiving a few movies.

Directv allows this feature and there website explains how to work it. The external hard drive has to have an eSATA port and I have the cable already. I also will be using it as my main DVR so whenever I watch Directv it will be on.

What is a good hard drive to get? I am looking for at least 1TB and here is a couple that I have found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822204079

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822207014

The rebates are pretty nice right now on Fantoms.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 AM

I assembled my own setup for use with a Scientific Atlantic HD8300 DVR. I referenced the AVS forum to track down information about what has worked well for others using the same cable setup. Their experiences were very valuable and helped me set up something that has worked great ever since. They actually had a nicely laid out table with excellent info in it.

I used a Western Digital sata hard drive. If you go that route, be sure to get a high speed drive (7200 rpm, "black" edition I believe). I used a Vantec sata/e-sata case. You should also make sure your DVR can handle the size external hard drive you choose. Take the time to understand how the dvr manages space across the internal and external hard drive also. I found out my 8300 actually writes to whichever drive has the most space available whenever it starts recording a program. Since the external drive I have is 3 times the size of the internal drive in the dvr, the box was using my external drive 100% if I left it running. As a result, I started shutting down the external drive when I knew I would not need the space. I only power up the external drive (and reboot the dvr to see it and use it), when I expect I may need the space. BTW, I do not keep anything permanently on this dvr - it is strictly "record it, watch it, delete it".
Once again, I encourage you to peruse the AVS forum to learn about what works best with your specific dvr, as I believe it saved me quite a bit of experimenting and grief.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 AM

I use an external with my HD PVR. 1.5TB for 1/3 the price of the standard internal boxes that are only 1TB!!

One thing about the box I use (PACE DC758D) is that the external HDD case has to be eSATA only, not dual USB/eSATA. For some reason, the USB controller f*cks it up.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Wow, thats a lot of info over there on AVS Forum, thanks! After browsing a bit, I might just wait for the HR24 to be released in a couple months depending how big it is.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I use an external with my HD PVR. 1.5TB for 1/3 the price of the standard internal boxes that are only 1TB!!

One thing about the box I use (PACE DC758D) is that the external HDD case has to be eSATA only, not dual USB/eSATA. For some reason, the USB controller f*cks it up.
Yeah - my first attempt was with an external drive that offered both e-Sata and USB also - and it did not work (the HD8300 refused to recognize it). Fortunately I had purchased it locally and just returned it. That was what caused me to do a bit more research before trying again.
My Vantec/Western Digital Sata drive combo was identified as compatible with my equipment and cable service provider over at AVS, and when I set it up and plugged it in and rebooted the cable dvr, it was immediately recognized, the dvr offered to format the drive, and off we went without a hitch ever since.