Laserdiscs - Page 18 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2011, 10:57 AM

I just got a laserdisc player (cheapo cls-d201) and some discs but I'm having a problem getting audio. It has a digital coax out and I hooked it to the digital coax on my pioneer vsx1020 with no luck. I get video fine. As this is my first foree into LD am I doing something wrong?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Assuming you assigned the coaxial input properly on your AVR then it could be a faulty coax output on your player double check your AVR settings.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfer View Post
Assuming you assigned the coaxial input properly on your AVR then it could be a faulty coax output on your player double check your AVR settings.
Thanks for the reply. Found out late last night that you need the original remote to select "Digital Output"... kinda sucks but I may be able to get another remote off ebay cheap.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM

You usually need the remote to access the analog audio tracks on discs that have both digital and analog tracks too (some have commentaries or other supplemental audio on them) and to turn CX noise reduction on older analog-only discs that aren't flagged to do it automatically.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
Thanks for the reply. Found out late last night that you need the original remote to select "Digital Output"... kinda sucks but I may be able to get another remote off ebay cheap.
I highly doubt that. The output will always be on. You could try selecting analog audio if you get the remote though. Maybe it's just the digital that is defective. As cheap as used players are, may as well get a different one.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 AM

I still love both of my LD players. My Pioneer industrial model has been solid as a rock. It was one of the barcode models for industrial use. My magnavox is a more full-featured player, but is more finicky.

I love LD not only for the Nostalgia, but because a lot of editions of movies were never released in the same way on other formats, like the director's edition of Star Trek IV. I also collect Criterions, and they released a ton of titles on LD only and were never able to release them on other formats.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Picked up some LD shrinks over the weekend at record surplus 26.00 worth.:smile: Superman Apollo 13 and 20k are used. The Fleischer series looks really good color wise.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 PM

I've had laserdiscs for years. In fact, they are what got me into home theater systems. It wasn't ceds, betamax, vhs or dvds. Probably around the time the HD-DVD format came out, I pretty much quit playing and buying the discs. I put an auction on for two collections (can't remember exactly, probably 300+ movies) of discs, about 10 players, ac-3 demodulator, etc on ebay in an attempt to sell them, but everyone messaged me wanting my ac-3 rf demodulator and the main player that connected to that demodulator, and the auction didn't hit its reserve, probably about 25% of what I paid for the movies alone. So, I was just sort of stuck with the collection.

A few pics of some of my LDs..

Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 PM

nice collection!