HD Advisor January 29, 2010 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Default HD Advisor January 29, 2010

The man with his finger on the remote is back:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rojection/4142
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 PM

CIH is for weenies!

Just kidding Josh.

It's not suprising that the behemouth studios are failing to respond quickly to the desires of the consumers. Someone, somewhere, made a decision and that's it. We see this so often from major corporations which is why companies like Sony, who have had substandard video upconversion... basically forever... still haven't fixed it. They just don't give a damn.

But, it will be the CEMs that listen which will come out with product fixes and it's hardly any suprise at all that Oppo was one of the first to get this issue resolved. Likewise, if they find that the 'sticky' version of subtitle shifting is not liked, they will find some other solution which people like more.

I expect that a company like Panasonic may implement this as well as they tend to be fairly responsive to this type of request, and it seems like more of a feature to be added easily instead of one which requires full reengineering.

One thing people will have to do is have S&V, Home Theater, and other publications make a note if a player will relocate subtitles. If this is put out as a feature that people are looking for, then manufacturers are more likely to respond.

Studios sure as heck aren't that likely to actually respond to something they should have thought of at square one... But, we might get lucky.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 PM

So will the BDP-80 also have the subtitle shift option? Thats the player im looking at and when i get money to set up a projector, and CIH was that easy to deal with that would be great.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM

Your CSS looks completely botched in that article.

Firefox 3.6
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM

I think we already had this discussion. I am actually very grateful for the article, as I did not know of the new Oppo firmware that addresses the issue.

But I still find the statement "subtitles belong in the picture" grossly inappropriate - subtitles address the viewer's deficiency in understanding the spoken language (Klingon nonwithstanding) and are far from representing the filmmaker's vision. Covering a part of the picture is bad if it can be avoided, and although I understand the frustration of people with CIH setups, I do not want their preference shoved down the throats of those of us who watch dialogue-heavy foreign features and want to be able to experience the movie with the visual composition reflecting the filmmaker's intentions (as opposed to recreating the experience in "foreign" theatres).

This new development of being able to move the subtitles is really great news for both camps.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah man, good for you. I'm glad that the subtitle shift can accomodate both camps of the "where do subtitles belong" debate.

P.S. Subtitles do not belong in the movie! LOL
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiesized View Post
Your CSS looks completely botched in that article.

Firefox 3.6
Yeah, I'm trying to get this figured out. Not sure what happened here.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to get this figured out. Not sure what happened here.
It's my fault. I had an open tag in the HTML at the top of the article, which caused the ad on the right to completely mess up the page. Should be fixed now. Sorry 'bout that.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk61 View Post
IBut I still find the statement "subtitles belong in the picture" grossly inappropriate - subtitles address the viewer's deficiency in understanding the spoken language (Klingon nonwithstanding) and are far from representing the filmmaker's vision. Covering a part of the picture is bad if it can be avoided, and although I understand the frustration of people with CIH setups, I do not want their preference shoved down the throats of those of us who watch dialogue-heavy foreign features and want to be able to experience the movie with the visual composition reflecting the filmmaker's intentions (as opposed to recreating the experience in "foreign" theatres).
Subtitles are of course a compromise. However, placing those subtitles in the black bar below the movie draws your eyes completely away from the movie for extended periods of time, which even further prevents you from appreciating the visual composition of the filmmaker's intentions.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Lets not start that again! LOL, I still have scars from the last thread discussing subtitle placement.

P.S. They do not belong in the picture!