Do you think that companies should stop trying to make universal remotes? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Do you think companies should stop trying to release 'universal remotes'?
Yes, every remote is garbage... give me my Harmony! 12 29.27%
Yes, the only remote I use is the one that came with my SA 8300. 0 0%
Yes, my $10 Wal Mart remote works better than the remote that came with my TV! 0 0%
No, I love the remote that came with my xxxx device! 5 12.20%
I don't use a remote. I use the power of my mind. 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Do you think that companies should stop trying to make universal remotes?

With all of the great remotes that are being released from companies like Harmony... and even remotes from Wal Mart that are 10X better than most product remotes... do you think that companies should stop trying to make a "universal remote" that lacks very basic needs (like a backlight)?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:27 PM

right now, my Sony SXRD remote does a pretty decent job at controlling my TV, my DVD player and even Blu-ray player. Although im looking to get the universal Sony Remote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:10 PM

There are very few remotes that can stand up to Harmony or Universal Remote Control products. I mean, not even in the same league. Yes, Pronto type remotes can be great, and certain products, like my Yamaha receiver shipped with a Pronto, but for the most part the remotes that come with products are a 'freebie extra' that the manufacturer includes because they have to.

Some put some serous though into the remote they include, but most do not.

More importantly - Remote controls are the key to opening up an A/V system to the rest of your family. If YOU are the only one using your system, then it hardly matters, but if your wife/kids are completely unable to watch a movie on your surround system without you there to hold their hand, then it's no wonder your wife hates your A/V hobby.

My 2 year old can turn on XM radio in a dozen different rooms in our house - and turn it off again. He can also bring up any of a couple dozen DVDs on his own without the help of my wife or myself. My wife is far more proficient than my son, but the remote doesn't really require her to be.

A good system is ALL about the remote, the rest is just gravy.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 PM

Who the heck voted for that last option? 24 people already!?

I love my Harmony. I just finished the setup last night.

Last edited by MentokTheMindTaker; 12-11-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
Who the heck voted for that last option? 24 people already!?

I love my Harmony. I just finished the setup last night.
yea, wtf...there wasnt even that option when I voted %-(

I do agree though that the Harmony remotes are very nice. Im going the sony route myself to keep in tune with all my other sony stuff
Old 12-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Well it would be great if I could convince the wife to start using one instead of having f remotes in front of us every evening!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Well it would be great if I could convince the wife to start using one instead of having f remotes in front of us every evening!
Are you using variables in your sentences now? Or was "f" supposed to be five?

"instead of having f (where f = (pi * 43)/27.2) remotes in front of us every evening!"

%-(
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM

I'd rather use four remotes than the piece of garbage that came with my TV. If only I could afford those really fancy universal remotes that can recognize devices on its own. Punching in numbers for half-an-hour is not worth it.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
Are you using variables in your sentences now? Or was "f" supposed to be five?

"instead of having f (where f = (pi * 43)/27.2) remotes in front of us every evening!"

%-(
Oops - was meant to say four! [-X
Old 12-24-2006, 05:53 PM

I don't think they should stop (competition is good!), but Logitech has pretty much cornered the market. Can't imagine spending big bucks for anything other than a Harmony...