Question about Comcast Service - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Question about Comcast Service

Hey everyone! I have a question about Comcast Service. I know that prices depend on the area, but I was wondering something. I'm trying to convince my Dad to buy the Series3 TiVo to replace our Comcast Motoral DVR and so I was doing some number-crunching and comparisons. Here is what we currently have on our Comcast bill:

Additional Outlet 0.00
Full Standard Svc 52.45
Digital Plus 14.95
HDTV 0.00
DVR Service 23.90
TOTAL: 91.30 per month

Now we really only use the regular cable channels (3-99) and HDTV, so I was thinking about cancelling our Digital Cable Service. Does anyone know if you have to have Digital Service in order to have the HDTV service? If not, then our bill would look something more like this (if we got the Series3):

Full Standard Svc 52.45
HDTV 0.00
CableCARD 1.91
TiVo (2-year prepaid cost per month) 12.46
TOTAL: 66.82

Now you can get the TiVo Series3 for $400 (until tomorrow) at Amazon, so spread out over two years, that comes to a total cost of $2191.20 with Comcast's DVR and $2003.68 with Comcast and TiVo.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Chad my friend. I don't have the energy this time of night to get into a Comcast conversation. LOL They are all over the map as far as what they will or will not play ball about. Many claim to not have any cable cards and their techs don't know how to install them, the head end people don't know how to turn them on, the service people don't want you to have them ect. They will try to tell you that you must have digital to have HDTV (lies) ect.

You may have a great experience but just be prepared to get it on ........

I wish you luck. This crap is why I never got a S3. If you have the stomach to brawl with them for a few weeks you might get it all working right and billed right.

p.s. Just so you know their are not any multi-stream cards out now so you will need 2 cards. Also they are one way so you wont have any On Demand or pay per view at all.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:11 AM

Thanks for the response, Maxx.

Yeah I know the Comcast people are [generally] turds. So you don't need Digital Service to still get the HDTV service, eh? Plus, they're legally required to provide CableCARDS (and it also says so on their website's FAQ) so I can always use these two things to 'get my way.' On the FAQ it also states that the first CableCARD is free and the second is $1.91/month (as reflected in my posted price list) as well as specifically noting the Series3 as a device that requires two cards.

My only concern is that Comcast will make the change to Switched Digital programming, which is incompatible with the Series3.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
My only concern is that Comcast will make the change to Switched Digital programming, which is incompatible with the Series3.
Thats enough reason to hold off buying an S3. Especially when you see the cable companies bragging that they will have over 800HD channels or some crap like that. The only way they can offer that type of bandwidth is by using SDV and or cutting off the analog signals.