Questions Regarding Placing an LCD TV Above a Fireplace - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Questions Regarding Placing an LCD TV Above a Fireplace

Hello All -

I just bought a house last week and the living room setup makes it difficult/impossible for me to fit my large entertainment center. One of the walls in the living room contains a wood burning fireplace and the only "logical" place to place my LCD TV would be to place it on a the mantle (very sturdy) above the fireplace. Now, because the TV wont be directly attached to the brick wall, i'm not worried about heat damage to the tv.

However, I am worried about smoke damage. Can anyone here offer me guidance on whether the amount of smoke that escapes the chimney is significant enough to damage the TV? If so, is there anything I can buy to either protect the TV from smoke damage?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM

I think a decent rule of thumb here is if you are not getting smoke damage already on the area you plan to mount the TV, then you should be OK. I mounted my first LCD over a wood burning fireplace in a condo we were in at the time and had no problems.

I was planning on removing a mantle before mounting the TV, so I decided to paint the underside of the mantle white and then start a fire to see if I could tell if there was any soot/smoke getting on it etc. Everything looked clean so I went ahead and ripped the mantle and mounted the TV. We made a fire probably three times a week that winter and the TV is now mounted in my in-laws bedroom several years later and still works great.

Unless you have an issue with smoke coming up in the house that you REALLY need to address at the chimney anyways for safety reasons, I can't believe you would ever have a problem doing this.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Wow, thats great news! Thanks for the personal experience. The mantle is already painted white and has been for some time and there does not appear to be any damage. However, i'm not sure how often the previous owner used the fireplace, either. I will be sure to test it out a few times before moving the TV there.

Now, the only problem will be the viewing angle not being ideal as the mantle is slightly above eye-level. However, i can live with that.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
Wow, thats great news! Thanks for the personal experience. The mantle is already painted white and has been for some time and there does not appear to be any damage. However, i'm not sure how often the previous owner used the fireplace, either. I will be sure to test it out a few times before moving the TV there.

Now, the only problem will be the viewing angle not being ideal as the mantle is slightly above eye-level. However, i can live with that.
find a mount that can tilt downward a bit. We used one from bestbuy (the better brand they carry, I can't remember), that was a very slim right against the wall mount, and it came with additional "shims," of a sort that allowed you to mount the TV at up to a 15 degree angle pointing "downward," to address this.

There are also mounts with arms that won't sit as flush against the wall when not in use, but you can pull the TV out on the arm and REALLY adjust the angles with some of those...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM

great idea! i didnt even think of that. obviously its not ideal, but its worth it in this situation.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Go to someplace like Bbuy that has several examples out to see. When I first mounted that tv I thought the angle was going to bug me but soon found the improved viewing angle while seated was a big improvement and more casual viewing when standing etc. was not affected that much anyways. (I mounted it flat first then later added the shims and found them to be the better option for us)

good luck btw
Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 PM

We had to move our TV from the fireplace. Smoke was not a problem, it was just uncomfortable at that height. The fireplace seemed logical since it was the center of focus in the room.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 PM

My condo complex places the power outlet and cable tunnel for TVs above the fireplace for units that are prewired. The same builder does this throughout all their homes.