Proper distance for side speaker in a 7.1 setup. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM

Question Proper distance for side speaker in a 7.1 setup.

I don't think this has ever been discussed before and I couldn't find anything about it on major configuration websites. So here it is:

I will be getting a 7.1 system but I have a major problem (I think). My basement is 22'x11' and I've configured it so that my 67" TV is around 8-9 feet from viewing distance, giving me a nice central focal point. Now, the problem is, my couch is roughly 9.5' which means that in a 7.1 system, both of my side speakers will end up pretty much at 1-2 inch from the couch. Now I know that you calculate it in degrees and that the side must be a little about hear level but I was wondering if there was a distance for side speakers. All the graphics I've checked for a 7.1 setting shows at least 1-2 feet from the couch but there's no way it will do. Also, do you think I should put them inside my wall instead? I know it sounds pretty extreme (maybe not that much) but I thought it might gave me some extra space.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Do what movie theaters do - mount them up on the walls ( above head height when someone is standing - like 7 feet) and aim them down, about 30 to 45 degrees.

L & R side surround - above the couch

L & R rear surround - behind the couch on the back wall (could be mounted lower if you choose - as long as there is no foot traffic there)
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Check dolby.com they will give you good advise on layout. This link may or may not take you there.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...ide/index.html

Also get you a good sound pressure meter to properly calibrate your speakers. You can find these at radio shack. Will set you back no more than $50.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 PM

I also think you should raise your surround speakers. 7ft sounds good. Just make sure they're atleast 2 ft higher than ear level. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your results. A sound meter is one of the best investments you can purchase when it comes to your home audio system. Properly setting your speaker levels will make sure you experience a more unified and cohesive sound field. I would also recommend raising the back channels as well (equal height to your surround channels). Doing so will create a canopy of sound that will be sure to impress.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 AM

Like other people have mentioned, getting the volume properly adjusted and raising them will help, and having the delay set correctly (if you're buying a new amp/receiver it will probably do it for you, volume too) will also aid the illusion that you're not sitting right next to the speakers.

I think a combination of those 3 factors will give you a good result.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 PM

Thanks a lot guys! Sorry for my late answer, I was away.

Also, what would you suggest as a fairly mid-high speakers (~$1500) set. I was thinking about a Polk Audio Sub PS125 but I have absolutely no clue concerning the other 7 speakers as it seems like it's almost a matter of preferences. I want speakers that will give me a good bang for my bucks but that won't bankrupt me either. And I'll be getting an Onkyo TXNR807 as a receiver btw.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM

Polk subs are way overpriced and underperforming. With all the excellent builder direct sites out there i.e. eD audio, HSU, SVS, etc etc there's no reason to settle on an inferior product.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD52 View Post
Thanks a lot guys! Sorry for my late answer, I was away.

Also, what would you suggest as a fairly mid-high speakers (~$1500) set. I was thinking about a Polk Audio Sub PS125 but I have absolutely no clue concerning the other 7 speakers as it seems like it's almost a matter of preferences. I want speakers that will give me a good bang for my bucks but that won't bankrupt me either. And I'll be getting an Onkyo TXNR807 as a receiver btw.
I replaced my Polk rti series speakers with SVS SCS-01 speakers and love them. With your budget I recommend the 7.0 package:
http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

3 SCS-01 speakers up front (left, right, center) and four SBS speakers for your surrounds for $889 before shipping.

Then add an SVS PB12-NSD sub for $569 (just call SVS and they will give you a discount off that price if your buy the speaker package, typically it is 5%).

This will give you a great speaker setup and keep you under budget.

Another option would be Elemental Designs:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php
2 x A6-6T6 MTM speakers for left and right
1 x A6-6T6 MTM speakers for center
4 x A3-5TC speakers for surrounds
1 x A5-350 subwoofer

comes to $1411 shipped
Old 09-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks guys. I've been to svsound.com but since I'm from Canada, I'll have to go through their Canadian dealer called sonicboomaudio.com but here's what I've found:
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/sbs01-...stem-p-15.html
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD52 View Post
Thanks guys. I've been to svsound.com but since I'm from Canada, I'll have to go through their Canadian dealer called sonicboomaudio.com but here's what I've found:
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/sbs01-...stem-p-15.html
See if you cannot upgrade the two front SBS speaker to SCS speakers within your budget. It is worth the upgrade IMHO. I would give them a call.