Best budget HTIB (Home Theater in a Box)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Default Best budget HTIB (Home Theater in a Box)?

I'll be honest with you. All I really want is a receiver and some speakers. I've never cared much for sound quality, as long as I can clearly hear my program, I'm fine. All I want the speakers to do is produce a better sound than the TV does. That's all. My budget is $400, I'm not sure if that's enough.

Extra question: With some Home Theater Systems, do the DVD players double as receivers? Sorry if that's a strange question, if it is, just disregard it.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:46 AM

First step, forget those all-in-one boxes, buy a decent av-receiver and a set of speakers. Then it's much easier to upgrade the system when time comes.

At the moment Amazon.com has one refurbished and some used Sony STRDG820 receivers for about 280$, in my opinion excellent choice for that price range if you dare to buy something that is not new. I think that in receivers the risk is quite small.

For speakers here are recommended Polk Audio and Klipsch, the whole package (with receiver) will cost more than your budget is but I would recommend that you rather buy decent receiver and less speakers now and rest of the speakers later than the whole system for that cheap.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
I'll be honest with you. All I really want is a receiver and some speakers. I've never cared much for sound quality, as long as I can clearly hear my program, I'm fine. All I want the speakers to do is produce a better sound than the TV does. That's all. My budget is $400, I'm not sure if that's enough.

Extra question: With some Home Theater Systems, do the DVD players double as receivers? Sorry if that's a strange question, if it is, just disregard it.
As someone else mentioned, you may be better off buying a solid HDMI receiver and speakers separate...even if it's just a 2.1 setup for now.

However, if you just want a HTIB, check Amazon.com They have several Onkyo HTIBs (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3200...015&sr=8-5that )
that are in your price range. Plus you save $$$ on the no tax and free shipping. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Pick an amp & speakers from this thread (long 1st post, it's worth reading though).

Build Your Own HTiB $400-$800

The cheapest options total $360 (exc. cables), it's really worth the extra investment to spend $50 more for the next speaker package if you can afford to.

Yes, there's a large selection of HTiB set ups that have a combined dvd/receiver, but they should be avoided IMO - then your sound quality and picture quality would take a hit (even the high end $2000+ options don't perform as well as a comparable priced separates system).
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usckid View Post
However, if you just want a HTIB, check Amazon.com They have several Onkyo HTIBs (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3200...015&sr=8-5that )
that are in your price range. Plus you save $$$ on the no tax and free shipping. Good luck.
Do you have any recommendations from Samsung or LG?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
Pick an amp & speakers from this thread (long 1st post, it's worth reading though).

Build Your Own HTiB $400-$800

The cheapest options total $360 (exc. cables), it's really worth the extra investment to spend $50 more for the next speaker package if you can afford to.

Yes, there's a large selection of HTiB set ups that have a combined dvd/receiver, but they should be avoided IMO - then your sound quality and picture quality would take a hit (even the high end $2000+ options don't perform as well as a comparable priced separates system).
I would do this, cables you can get from monoprice.com keeping your investment in that $400 range.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
Do you have any recommendations from Samsung or LG?
Well ... if you're dead set on ignoring everyones advice (I kid, I kid It's your money after all) I'd check reviews at somewhere like cnet.com, they have recently covered 2 new HTiB (inc blu ray) set ups which almost make it into your price range from Samsung (which makes it into their Top 5 Home Audio list) & LG.

Here's their list of other HTiB $300-$400 reviews, happy hunting.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

Here is one that will fit in your pricepoint.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5100...outThisProduct

Bear in mind that at this price point you will not have DTS HD or TrueHD decoding capability and even if you have it decoded at your blu-ray player.
In fact you will need separate toslink or coaxial digital cables to get the audio to your reciever. You will get dolby digital plus or DTS.
That doesn't mean that you won't enjoy the sound. Coming from nothing, you will be floored.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 AM

The Sony 7200DH system can be had for around $400. Included are a full 1080P capable (video AND audio through HDMI) receiver, 5.1 speaker system with powered sub, and even a 1080P upconvert dvd player! Sony gets knocked sometimes for it's low to mid-priced receivers, somewhat unfairly. I have owned Sony receivers in the past, never had problems with them. I am actually considering this one for my apartment.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 PM

The sony HT-SS360 is the best bang for your buck at this price point. It will produce lossless PCM 5.1 if your bluray player/ps3 can decode the dolby tru hd or dts ma. it has three hdmi inputs for your components and it sounds great. I would not settle for any htib no matter the name if it cant handle lossless.
many of the components that have an included bluray or dvd palyer dont have hdmi inputs as well so you're stuck with just that one use.
you probably already bought your htib but this is really for anyone else in the market for a great htib.

Last edited by juscallme_J; 09-24-2009 at 12:28 PM.