problem with distortion/tired of returning tvs - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 AM

Default problem with distortion/tired of returning tvs

Hey I'm on my third TV now. I keep ending up with lemons. Atleast for what I'm looking for in a TV. I want to use it for video games and computer as well as a TV. But this tv that i'm on right now... the Panasonic Viera TC-L37S1... Which looks good in almost every way except for when I'm playing games. Like Devil May Cry 4... I'll be hacking demons up or running up a flight of stairs and as I'm doing this there are these weird distortion lines that travel down the length of the screen. They are like a water-ripple but in a straight horizontal line spanning the length of the TV screen. It's the worst. I've had LCD monitors before and they didn't do this kind of thing. I don't understand it. I checked online for reviews before I even bought this TV. Though there weren't many, the ones I did look at seemed very positive. But I guess they didn't try playing games on theirs. Anyway. I'm really stumped. I'm almost thinking of switching to plasma? I have no idea what to do. I'm sick of these TVs. I miss CRT.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 AM

could be an issue with your videocard or hdmi port on the console end. Either that, or you have an electrical (house) issue such as a ground loop fault.

Either way, I HIGHLY doubt the issues you are having are because of the multiple TVs at this point. Since this only happens when playing video games, I;m also tending to skip over the electrical, and begin pointing fingers at your console....
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Please be more specific with your devices you are using and the TYPE of connection you are making.

It is very common for there to be electrical ground loops in systems which introduce distortion, typically in the form of red or blue colored lines that travel up/down the screen.

It is also very common, if you have dimmers, that they can introduce interference into the displays directly which can be nearly impossible to eliminate.

The best solution I've found so far is to use a digital connection to the display. HDMI

This tends to get rid of almost all analog distortions in the image.

If you are already using HDMI and your source is a PC, then ensure that your refresh rate is set to 60hz, not something different which the TV can't display natively.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Is that the "screen tearing" that keeps getting mentioned in 360/ps3 reviews maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by some gamespot forum
Screen tearing is when you can see lines going through the screen...like semi invisible lines..
Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsty101 View Post
Is that the "screen tearing" that keeps getting mentioned in 360/ps3 reviews maybe?
Yeah, sounds exactly like screen tearing that occurs when there is no V sync.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Yeah I was about to say sounds like a Vsync issue. Some games have an option to wait for V-sync and the frame-rate will take a minor hit but it won't exhibit this issue. I know Saint's Row 1/2 have it.