HD ADVISOR MEGA INSTALLMENT - Constant Height Projection - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM

Default HD ADVISOR MEGA INSTALLMENT - Constant Height Projection

This week's HD Advisor is a BIG deal. BIG! You'll need the weekend to check it all out!

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...rojection/2798
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM

read through a good portion of this earlier, interesting read.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Fascinating. This was a really impressive entry. As someone who is looking into buying a scope screen I am glad for this guide. I think I will stick to my plan of buying a high power scope screen to compensate the loss of brightness rather than bother with any lenses or anything.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Good article, but once again I miss the Q&A I wait all week for! Usually one of the best Q&A's on here, always disappointing when its a single article. Lots of good info, just stuff I was already aware of. Several Q&A's always touch on at least a couple things that are new to me. No complaints really, we're lucky to have a good Q&A column, just saying I miss it (and wish it were longer, but I know there's only so much time to go around).

Personally, the black bars are too easily mentally tuned out by me to bother spending more on covering them up in any way. While I of course hate cropping, I'm never distracted by bars. Having a Laserdisc player since the mid 90's, and watching the few letterboxed VHS's before that, it is a total non-issue to me. I can appreciate a tv capable of 24fps, or sound that is 7.1 lossless (though I can't currently use either), but covering up black bars is something my brain does on its own just fine, especially with the lights down and a TV with a black frame (though even with lights on and a white framed TV, the bars would be non-existent in my mind. I might want the lights off, but not because of the bars).
Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 PM

Im glad that I stuck with a 16X9 screen. For folks who still plan to watch TV or play video games with their PJ this is the way to go.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Im glad that I stuck with a 16X9 screen. For folks who still plan to watch TV or play video games with their PJ this is the way to go.
I agree.
The best of both worlds is to have a 16:9 screen and mask it for 2.35:1
Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM

for subtitles, it's best to watch it on a HTPC where u can adjust it. standalone players don't have as much choice...

or just play all encodes . guarantees 2.35 sub compatibility all the way =)
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
for subtitles, it's best to watch it on a HTPC where u can adjust it. standalone players don't have as much choice...
That's only true on DVD. Blu-ray has a protected video path. The subtitles can't be adjusted on an HTPC either.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujee1 View Post
I agree.
The best of both worlds is to have a 16:9 screen and mask it for 2.35:1
Scope movies are still smaller than Flat movies in that scenario. CIH isn't just about getting rid of the black bars. It's about restoring Scope movies to their proper size in comparison to narrower ratios.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM

CIH stuff is very nice. Wish I had a dedicated theater to do something like this with. The processing appears to be coming in more and more projectors, but the lens is still a pricey add-on.

I'd like a scope projector that does it all in the box. Buy a 2.3:1 screen and the projector does all the rest for you. That would be nice.