Question: Sound Bar VS 2.1 Channel Systems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-10-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Question: Sound Bar VS 2.1 Channel Systems

What is are the advantages and disadvantages of both? I wanna set up something for my room. It's just a plain bedroom, NOT the master bedroom. Remember, I want to just have augmented and improved sound from that instead of my underpowered TV speakers. Not to be blown away like the guy in the bose commercials.

Hopefully people could get this thread better since I put it in the proper category this time.

I wish to have solid exact answers.

BTW, why are 2.1 channel systems so much more expensive than 5.1 channel systems, even though there is way more equipment and speakers in a 5.1 system?

Thank you!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 AM

Personally... I'd go with a soundbar over a 2.1 system anyday. I listen to music a bit, but no where near as often as I watch movies, and really, unless you're planning on listening to alot of music and very few movies, then the soundbar is the way to go.

2.1 systems are designed (in theory) to be audiophile systems for music listeners. These aren't meant to be cheap hokey setups as many HTIB setups are... but rather very high quality listening experiences for the user. Hence why the costs are so different. Music still (oddly enough) is only recorded in stereo (usually). So a 2.1 setup is perfect... however even a cheap soundbar using realitively straightforward processing or algorithms can reasonably fake decent surround sound, and if the primary use of this system is tv/movies, then I can't think of a good reason to go with a 2.1 setup over a soundbar.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks, Triple HBK! What brands you suggesting? I've got my eye on this one Yamaha soundbar. Looks good. Looks kinda brown and has a silver dial in the middle and comes with a woofer. Let me know what you think. If I put the soundbar on top of my glass TV stand in front of my TV, will it damage the glass even if I turn it up?