Plasma HDTV Shipments to Drop Sharply - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Banned

Default Plasma HDTV Shipments to Drop Sharply

QUOTES FROM ARTICLE

"Global plasma panel shipments will increase by a mere 6.7% in 2009, compared to 19.7% growth in 2008, according to iSuppli."

"On the supply side, two of the three Japanese plasma panel makers, Pioneer and Hitachi have announced plans to withdraw from the business," said Riddhi Patel, principal analyst for TV systems at iSuppli. "This leaves only Panasonic as the sole plasma panel maker in Japan, and even this company just delayed its new Amagasaki production line."

"The exit of Pioneer and Hitachi comes after the reorganizations at Korean plasma makers Samsung SDI and LG Electronics, which already had caused panel shipments to slow down."

"For now, the sweet spot for plasma has moved to the 50-inch and larger market, where the cost benefits of choosing plasma give it an advantage over LCDs," Patel said. "But, just as in the 42-inch size, this advantage eventually will evaporate."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090325PR203.html
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM

does anyone know if Pioneer is still going to release the 10th gen Kuros, and when this will occur if they do?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
does anyone know if Pioneer is still going to release the 10th gen Kuros, and when this will occur if they do?
Both Hitachi and Pioneer are no longer making plasma screens in the USA. Pioneer is shutting down its US plasma factory in April 2009. The 9th generation Pioneers are the last plasmas that will ever be made by Pioneer. 10th generation plasmas from Pioneer will never appear in the United States. If you want a Pioneer now is the time to buy before they are all gone. I picked up a PRO-141FD around a month ago.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:11 PM

:uts on sign:: THE END IS NEAR! THE END IS NEAR!

Ok, more seriously though... I really can see the end of plasma all together coming, sooner rather than later. DLP (great tech) was murdered because thin was in, plasma did alright because it was generally regarded as the low cost FP option for a long time. Now there are very low cost LCDs (yes they suck, but most people dont' seem to care) so it would seem that for the masses the justification for plasma is gone.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM

well that blows.
yeah I already have a Kuro--the 8th gen 768p model they came out with.
I would love to upgrade to a 9th gen 1080p, but I can't afford it even at the reduced prices.
I'll probably be moving to a projector next anyway, now that the best tv ever made is dead.
really really sucks.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
well that blows.
now that the best tv ever made is dead.
really really sucks.
I agree, too bad Pioneer is done with HDTV. Hopefully Panasonic steps up and keeps making some solid plasmas. Their THX plasmas have been quite good.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
:uts on sign:: THE END IS NEAR! THE END IS NEAR!

Ok, more seriously though... I really can see the end of plasma all together coming, sooner rather than later. DLP (great tech) was murdered because thin was in, plasma did alright because it was generally regarded as the low cost FP option for a long time. Now there are very low cost LCDs (yes they suck, but most people dont' seem to care) so it would seem that for the masses the justification for plasma is gone.
You seem to be almost relieved about the end of Plasma tech. The low-cost LCDs have Plasma counterparts but the tech has been too maligned by earlier generation burn-in problems and overzealous Best Buy (and similar) employees. The damage is done. The only LCD panel I would ever buy again (after owning a Kuro) is a LED-backlight display.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
You seem to be almost relieved about the end of Plasma tech. The low-cost LCDs have Plasma counterparts but the tech has been too maligned by earlier generation burn-in problems and overzealous Best Buy (and similar) employees. The damage is done. The only LCD panel I would ever buy again (after owning a Kuro) is a LED-backlight display.
not really, I was teasing particularly with so many Plasma supporters seemingly losing their minds right now. Plasma is a very good tech, it has it's merit but lets face it, this was coming for a long time now. It's just reality, the market was going to consolodate and there's no way around it. I hope the plasma crowd can just accept what's happening, enjoy what they have then look for CE's to improve the only remaining viable HDTV tech.

For what it's worth personally I love DLP RPTV's but their demise is a step ahead of plasma. They'll be off the market much sooer. It's a shame, they've been the ultimate in high realestate and high value HDTVs. But their time has also come.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Yea, well, real estate is everything with DLP. I think it makes more sense that they are reaching the end of the line since depth and weight have become increasingly important. Pioneer was still refining Kuro tech to become thinner, lighter, more eco-friendly and with CRT-like contrast ratios (and beyond). That's why us Plasma whores are down and out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-D2n0Tze6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0KMh...eature=related

The Extreme Contrast Concept prototype in the second link was on display at CES last year and those who saw it didn't leave feeling a longing for CRTs.

Now all that's left is to see what Panasonic does...or settle for a MORE expensive LED-backlight LCD with its own host of problems. OLED is still a joke and remains way out of any plebe's league.

Last edited by vinnie97; 03-28-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM

This is definetly in even though most people don't even bother wall mounting their TVs. I was a bit more of a realist when I picked up my toshi DLP, I knew it wasn't going to be going on a wall for years, so why did I need something that wall mouts? It made more sense to me to go with the greater screen size offered by DLP, as well as the better blacks and contrast ratio's you get with DLP technology as compared to equivilent FPTVs at the time I bought mine. DLPs also offer a CRT like performance with motion, DLP RPTVs were awesome and if they had been graced with the kind of development $$$ Kuro's got I think you would have seen some hella amazing units.

But, at the end of the day you just can't make a DLP TV tin enough. They'll never wall mount, at least not with a fantastic leap in technology which would cost hella $$$ to develop. So, much like plasma TVs they're being consolodated out of the market