Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD & PRO-151FD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2009, 01:02 PM

Question Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD & PRO-151FD

I am wanting to know what everyone thinks about these 2 models, Pro's and Con's. Probely won't be many Con's but I want to know what they are if anyone has any. I am eagerly saving my money to purchase 1 of these models. Any ideas when or if the prices will drop any on these, I really want the 60" but don't wanna drop $4500, any chance it could be in the $3500 range sometime this year?

Thanks to everyone that persuaded me to spend a little extra money and get better quality.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM

You should already be aware of most of the pros of these displays. The image simply is second to none. Pioneer has long had their ducks in a row when it comes to the Elite series of plasma displays.

The downsides are the same that have existed with plasmas for years. That is, reflections off the screen are the biggest issue, and it would be bad to leave a static image on the screen for 3 days without break due to potential for burn-in.

Yet, burn-in is almost a non-issue if you just occassionally game (12 hours or less at a time) and switch up your video to HDTV, SDTV, and DVD/Blu-ray content.

I have the Pioneer 6070, which is not as nice as the Kuro, but have had zero moments of image retention at all. My biggest issue is definitely needing to deal with the reflections off the screen from time to time.

Otherwise, it has worked phenomenally well.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Has anyone confirmed that the new Kuro's are of equal quality as the previous models actually manufactured by Pioneer???
Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Garden The current Kuros are BETTER quality in every way than the previous generation (8th Gen Pioneers).

I've seen both the 9th gen next to the 8th gen and it beat it in EVERY instance. It's light output seems a bit higher, the blacks are deeper, the colors a bit better, etc.

Build quality is the same as the previous iterations, too.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Pioneer Kuros are still a 100% Pioneer product.

Note! There have been reports in the last couple of days which indicate that instead of Pioneer discontinuing their own plasma production and switching to Panasonic glass (which has not happenned yet), they are instead going to get entirely out of the plasma business.

Holy cow! If you want a Kuro, then you need to jump on that train now... Unless the news reports are inaccurate. Which they may be.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 AM

So really do you think there will be any deals on the PRO-151FD sometime this spring/summer?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Default 111fd

the 111 fd can be had for 2600 ,free white glove delivery, plus tax in the NY, NJ area only from 6th ave electronics..111fd was given product of the year award as well as many other awards this past year by Sound &Vision, Home theater Magazine, and several others....I have this tv and it is fantastic..many differrent modes and settings menu to tweak this tv to look great...detachable side speakers that have incredible sound....don't know how long this will last but you can bet that things will only go higher, not lower as they become impossible to get..

you snooze you lose

Last edited by boomer5; 02-08-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 PM

No luck for me here in texarse...I already have a 5020FD so this might be deemed as a foolish purchase anyway. Best I see online is $2786.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Formerly "HDTV Addict"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
You should already be aware of most of the pros of these displays. The image simply is second to none. Pioneer has long had their ducks in a row when it comes to the Elite series of plasma displays.

The downsides are the same that have existed with plasmas for years. That is, reflections off the screen are the biggest issue, and it would be bad to leave a static image on the screen for 3 days without break due to potential for burn-in.

Yet, burn-in is almost a non-issue if you just occassionally game (12 hours or less at a time) and switch up your video to HDTV, SDTV, and DVD/Blu-ray content.

I have the Pioneer 6070, which is not as nice as the Kuro, but have had zero moments of image retention at all. My biggest issue is definitely needing to deal with the reflections off the screen from time to time.

Otherwise, it has worked phenomenally well.
I have found that tilting my PDP down about 5 degrees gets rid of the reflections.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Is the PRO-151FD that much better than the PDP-6020FD considering the grice gap, Can the price difference be justified. Are the lack of picture controls on the PDP-6020FD going to make a huge difference or a small one.