Question about HDMI Audio receivers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Question about HDMI Audio receivers

I want to upgrade to an audio receiver that can extract audio from an HDMI signal. I've been looking a lot and most of the ones I see can only switch HDMI, not decode the audio. I need it to be able to decode multichannel PCM (for Blu-rays and PS3) Next-gen audio codec support would be helpful but not required (Like DTS-HD/MA and TrueHD) I would prefer for it to be a 7.1 system. Can some of you recommend a few different receivers that would be able to do this? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I want to upgrade to an audio receiver that can extract audio from an HDMI signal. I've been looking a lot and most of the ones I see can only switch HDMI, not decode the audio. I need it to be able to decode multichannel PCM (for Blu-rays and PS3) Next-gen audio codec support would be helpful but not required (Like DTS-HD/MA and TrueHD) I would prefer for it to be a 7.1 system. Can some of you recommend a few different receivers that would be able to do this? Thanks.
Does your HDTV have HDMI input? If so, the Sony STR-DG710 can extract 6.1 channels of audio via HDMI, and is moderately priced at around $255. If want to be future proof and get a receiver with HDMI 1.3 and can decode DTS HD-MA, you might want to wait for the Onkyo 605 and check out this thread:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=7187

If your HDTV does not have HDMI, you may be in trouble. I tried the Sony 710 and it would not work with the DVI connection on my TV.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

No, the STR-DG710 only has 2-channel LPCM audio. The STR-DG810 and up have 8-channel LPCM audio.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Yeah I have HDMI, and I don't really need DTS-MA and TrueHD decoding, since the PS3 will decode them to multichannel LPCM through the HDMI port, at least I think it will. I don't know since I haven't tried it. I think I may have heard that it won't decode DTS-MA yet, but will in a future firmware upgrade.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
Banned

The PS3 should encode everything except for DTS HD and DTS HD MA. I don't think anyone can say for sure if it does or does not have the hardware required to decode those if it does get a firmware. How confusing was that last sentence?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocks out View Post
No, the STR-DG710 only has 2-channel LPCM audio. The STR-DG810 and up have 8-channel LPCM audio.
Not trying to Sony / BD bashing thread, but yet this blurb from SonyStyle.com is what lead me to give it a try:

Enjoy phenomenal surround sound quality from your Blu-ray Disc® media and access full HDMI™ connectivity with the STR-DG710 A/V receiver. Not only will you experience movies like never before, you can also rock out to your favorite XM® satellite radio stations1 with 630 watts of total power. And with BRAVIA™ Theater Sync, you can use one remote to easily manage all of your compatible Sony HDMI components. Features like Digital Cinema Sound™ and digital cinema auto calibration recreate the mood that Hollywood intended, making the STR-DG710 audio video receiver your hub for unlimited entertainment.

If "phenomenal surround sound quality from your Blu-ray Disc® media and access full HDMI™ connectivity" is 2 channel, I'll pass.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Not trying to Sony / BD bashing thread, but yet this blurb from SonyStyle.com is what lead me to give it a try:

Enjoy phenomenal surround sound quality from your Blu-ray Disc® media and access full HDMI™ connectivity with the STR-DG710 A/V receiver. Not only will you experience movies like never before, you can also rock out to your favorite XM® satellite radio stations1 with 630 watts of total power. And with BRAVIA™ Theater Sync, you can use one remote to easily manage all of your compatible Sony HDMI components. Features like Digital Cinema Sound™ and digital cinema auto calibration recreate the mood that Hollywood intended, making the STR-DG710 audio video receiver your hub for unlimited entertainment.

If "phenomenal surround sound quality from your Blu-ray Disc® media and access full HDMI™ connectivity" is 2 channel, I'll pass.
You're right, the whole BRAVIA series AVRs are "blu-ray ready" yet only the 810, 910 and 1000 have 8-channel HDMI audio. You could read all their info and never know you wouldn't get it unless you read the dealer info that I have.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:32 PM

I think I like the Sony STR-DG910. Now I need help with what type of 7.1 speaker to buy for it. It doesn't come with any does it? If not, could someone recommend some for me?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I think I like the Sony STR-DG910. Now I need help with what type of 7.1 speaker to buy for it. It doesn't come with any does it? If not, could someone recommend some for me?
Of course it doesn't come with any as it is only an A/V Receiver, not an HTIB.

How much are you looking to spend on speakers?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM

I honestly don't know how much. I don't need too huge of speakers because I live in an apartment above an old lady who complains when I have my current speakers (Logitech X-530 Computer Speakers) up too loud at night. But I don't want crappy speakers either. $500 for an audio receiver already is pretty expensive for me so recommend what you can but lower priced is better for me.