Sony 52 Bravia XBR120hz Or Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
NYRedBullFan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
Default Sony 52 Bravia XBR120hz Or Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz

I am ready to buy a tv in around 52 inch family. I narrowed my choices to Sony Bravia XBR 120hz and the Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz.
I am a big Sony guy but my wallet is not at this point. I don't know which one to pick. I know I save around $500 with Sammy.
Any advice folks?..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,287
Default

the sammy is very highly rated..check cnet.com reviews..the sony's are way overpriced and the picture quality isn't all that good..at least my opinion..they use Samsung lcd panels and come from the same factory in Mexico as the sammy tv's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM
NYRedBullFan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
the sammy is very highly rated..check cnet.com reviews..the sony's are way overpriced and the picture quality isn't all that good..at least my opinion..they use Samsung lcd panels and come from the same factory in Mexico as the sammy tv's
You mean same panels that sony uses. I see the Samsung at Amazon for a very good price, but I never bought anything expensive from them other than the DVDs. I hear some merchants pass refurbished goods as new, I hope Amazon is not one of them.
Thanks for the advice though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 82
Default

You can currently get that samsung 52" at best buy for 1999.99 (amazon has it for 1974.99)...and I'm sure with some haggling you might be able to get that down even more. I would never buy something like a television online, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
NYRedBullFan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippoeater View Post
You can currently get that samsung 52" at best buy for 1999.99 (amazon has it for 1974.99)...and I'm sure with some haggling you might be able to get that down even more. I would never buy something like a television online, but that's just me.
I am not brave enough to shop on line either.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRedBullFan View Post
I am ready to buy a tv in around 52 inch family. I narrowed my choices to Sony Bravia XBR 120hz and the Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120Hz.
I am a big Sony guy but my wallet is not at this point. I don't know which one to pick. I know I save around $500 with Sammy.
Any advice folks?..
xbr baby
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 248
Default

I purchased a 52XBR4 in June. I did a lot of research on the TVs and found that the Samsung and Sony offered an almost identical picture to my eyes.

What it came down to for me was the XBR4 felt like a piece of art I could hang on my wall. The glass trim, black borders, and very neat illumination of the Sony logo really add to the TVs appeal.

But the Samsung was indeed cheaper. I was about to pull the trigger on a Samsung until I tracked down a 52XBR4 BRAND NEW for $1500. The TV has been amazing and I've received nothing but amazing feedback from anyone who has seen the television either on or off. My fiancee even appreciates it.

If you do need a mount in the future be sure to use monoprice.com. Same mounts as in Bestbuy but for $25. And they are the same exact quality!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM
NYRedBullFan's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post
I purchased a 52XBR4 in June. I did a lot of research on the TVs and found that the Samsung and Sony offered an almost identical picture to my eyes.

What it came down to for me was the XBR4 felt like a piece of art I could hang on my wall. The glass trim, black borders, and very neat illumination of the Sony logo really add to the TVs appeal.

But the Samsung was indeed cheaper. I was about to pull the trigger on a Samsung until I tracked down a 52XBR4 BRAND NEW for $1500. The TV has been amazing and I've received nothing but amazing feedback from anyone who has seen the television either on or off. My fiancee even appreciates it.

If you do need a mount in the future be sure to use monoprice.com. Same mounts as in Bestbuy but for $25. And they are the same exact quality!
Wow, you got to PM me about the place you got your TV though. That's a very good price dude. Did you buy that refurb or wasn't new. Amazon latest price is $2500 with free shipping and tax.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
mpalmieri1203's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 248
Default

Hey,

It was brand new. And was a private seller not a business. Was worried but everything worked out great and got a warranty as well!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
HD 335's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,475
Default

I have the XBR4 and the 750 and there are things I like about each one and dislike. If I were on budget, I'd go for the Samsung. Personally, I like the minimum post processing settings on the XBR since it doesn't affect the image as dramatically as the 750. Also, the Samsung has the glossy panel vs. Sony's matte.

The 750 has dropped down in price to $1975 now. Excellent price for this TV and I don't have a problem with the "halo" effect, in fact I haven't even seen this problem on m TV.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westinghouse Ships 42 120Hz 1080p LCD for Only $750 Attebery Home Theater Gear 13 10-04-2009 11:47 AM
VIZIO 42 INCH 120HZ 1080P FOR ONLY $847 at Walmart (true 5:5 pulldown mode) HDTV1080P Home Theater Gear 4 09-14-2009 04:47 PM
120HZ 5:5 PULLDOWN 1080P/24 DISPLAYS AS LOW AS $699 FOR 32 INCH and $899 FOR 37 INCH HDTV1080P Home Theater Gear 2 11-29-2008 06:04 PM
Sony Bravia 46" 1080p Different Models KGB Home Theater Gear 8 11-14-2007 12:13 AM
1080p signal on new 120hz tv's mmmmDoNut Home Theater Gear 6 07-09-2007 02:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off