Guide: GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-25-2008, 10:16 PM

Exclamation Guide: GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Hi everyone!

I'd like to announce a new extensive guide I've put together: GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Link: GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES

Over 250 hours of research and writing have gone into this guide.

This guide came about as the do-it-yourself (DIY) crowd has been asking more and more about greyscale calibration over the years. With reliable colorimeters now under $150 USD and excellent free software like ColorHCFR available, it's a no-brainer that all DIY enthusiasts have some sort of colorimeter in their toolbox.

Countless number of calibration guides have been published prior to this one. Some of them quite good. The problem we found is that most assume that the reader already has the required equipment and knows exactly how to set it up properly. Most guides also assume that the reader has a good understanding of terms like D65, stimulus, CIE, etc. Some even provide links to highly technical documents as "required reading". Yes, many of these documents are very informative, but not everyone wants to earn a doctorate in colorimetry so that they can set their greyscale properly.

My guide takes a step backwards and makes the assumption that the reader has absolutely no knowledge of colour calibration. In fact, this guide assumes that the reader doesn't even *know* what "greyscale calibration" is! We explain what it is, why it's important, list the tools needed, where to get them, and walk you through the process from start to finish.

I hope you find it useful.

Disclaimer: Those not comfortable with a DIY approach should consider hiring a pro. For those that would never consider hiring a pro or simply want to learn a bit more, this guide is for you. Whether you attempt to perform the calibration yourself or hire a professional, please consider having your display calibrated. You will be astounded by the resulting difference in picture quality.

Comments and feedback are appreciated!

Kal

Last edited by kalW; 06-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 PM

looks like an informative read for sure.
thanks for posting!
we need all the help we can get in this forum for sure.
HDD being still a young'un after all
Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 PM

You're welcome! Hope you find it useful! I got so frustrated doing it myself and having to pull information in from dozens of different guides to get things to work right.... so I wrote my own!

Kal
Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM

Amazing.

-comix
Old 05-26-2008, 04:24 PM

Wow. How long did it take you to put that together? It's impressive.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:07 AM

I'm sure this could be made a sticky KalW.
maybe pm a mod.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I'm sure this could be made a sticky KalW.
maybe pm a mod.
I was already sticking it before I read the 'entire' thread.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM

This is a great sticky for us newbies that are just getting into home theater and are trying to maximize our picture quality. Unfortunately i'm still too green to attempt any of this stuff myself and apparently i can't get a pro calibration either because my diplays service menu is supposedly unaccessable. Good reading though very helpful and informative.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM

I got my projector literally 4 days ago and have been holding off calibrating it. Your guide is perfect! Awesome!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
HD Video Editor

Holy 61-page printout, Batman!

This is a very informative guide, though I could see some ways to separate parts of it to fit both pros in one guide and amateurs in another.

Thanks!