THX Theater Display viewing distance what do you think? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Default THX Theater Display viewing distance what do you think?

I read an article yesterday that had a link to the THX site. They say that the optimal viewing distance from TV for movies is the screen diameter divided by .83. That means that I should sit 87 inches away from my 73 inch display.

Anybody doing this?
Any thoughts?

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/display.html
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM

59" from a 50" display? Twice that maybe. I sit 9ft away from my 50", although from my computer chair (10-10.5ft away) my picture is beautiful.

Let your eyes decide.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:46 PM

8 feet from a 70" inch display isnt that bad, but don't let THX tell you where to sit and how to listen and how to decorate your room. THX is old news....decide for yourself.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 AM

That's probably the best distance to sit for filling your field of vision with screen, yeah.

Not very practical unless you have a dedicated HT with an 8' or larger screen.

For most of us plebes, it's buy as big a TV as you can (42" - 65" maybe) and sit in your room where it makes sense (6' to 14') is reality.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM

This is one of the best places to look...
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Put in the width of your display and you will get both SMPTE and THX seating distance recommendations.

Generally speaking, for true cinematic feel, like the center of a theater, you want to be sitting about 1.5x the WIDTH of the display.

The flip side, is that you also need to consider the content you are viewing. So, I consider this the standard for home theater systems, not for general purpose viewing environments.

For general purpose areas, you aren't always going to be watching true HD content, and 720p material requires a bit further back seating distance or the pixel structure will become visible.

I have a 60" display as well as a 106" display in the same room. The 60"er is for day to day viewing, while the 106" screen is for HD content and Blu-ray/HD DVD movies exclusively.

At 12 feet, I'm still a bit far away for the 106" screen.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
This is one of the best places to look...
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Put in the width of your display and you will get both SMPTE and THX seating distance recommendations.

Generally speaking, for true cinematic feel, like the center of a theater, you want to be sitting about 1.5x the WIDTH of the display.

The flip side, is that you also need to consider the content you are viewing. So, I consider this the standard for home theater systems, not for general purpose viewing environments.

For general purpose areas, you aren't always going to be watching true HD content, and 720p material requires a bit further back seating distance or the pixel structure will become visible.

I have a 60" display as well as a 106" display in the same room. The 60"er is for day to day viewing, while the 106" screen is for HD content and Blu-ray/HD DVD movies exclusively.

At 12 feet, I'm still a bit far away for the 106" screen.
That is the part that puzzles me. THX recommeneded viewing angle on the calculator is 36 degrees in contrast to 46 degrees on the website.

Just for grins I moved my seating to get the 46 degree viwing angle. With the lights on it feels like I'm sitting right on top of the TV. With the lights out it reminds me of where I would sit in a movie theater. The caveat is I can only look at high def images on the screen otherwise it's not much fun. That isn't much of an issue because I have other smaller TVs in the house for standard def. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I was wondering if others would think so as well.