Tier for audio cable types. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Tier for audio cable types.

Hey,

This is probably a pretty n00b question, but...

I just picked up a low-end Pioneer 5.1 receiver (HTP-2900), which will be my first receiver. It has one optical and two coaxial inputs, as well as the usual composites.

This being my first receiver, I'm not that well versed on which connection option is better than which others. From what I gather, this is the tier;

Optical
Coaxial
Composite

I just wanted to check this before I bought any cables.

My plan is;

HD DVD: Optical
DVD player: Coaxial
Cable Box: Coaxial
Other: Composite

Also wanted to see if anybody knew a good place to buy a few of these cables on the cheap.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Optical and coaxial are equivalent. Ok, there are slight differences, but none that actually lead to much of a difference in performance.

Composite is a video cable. It's the yellow one. I think you mean RCA (analog) (red/white).
Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Just a note, but is there anything your misc DVD player is doing that your HD DVD player isn't? Knocking off the extra DVD player would save you an extra digital input for another device capable of 5.1 (game console?).
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Optical and coaxial are equivalent. Ok, there are slight differences, but none that actually lead to much of a difference in performance.

Composite is a video cable. It's the yellow one. I think you mean RCA (analog) (red/white).
Told ya I was a n00b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Just a note, but is there anything your misc DVD player is doing that your HD DVD player isn't? Knocking off the extra DVD player would save you an extra digital input for another device capable of 5.1 (game console?).
DivX and PAL discs, mostly. In addition, I find my A20 to be too slow as far as mechanical operation to use for anything other than HD DVDs.

And luckily, I don't have a game console. So there isn't a thirst for connections going on.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 AM

sears and radioshack has some monster thx cable for under 25 bucks!